Semester 1 Reflection

Reflect on one of the most important moments for your professional development in semester 1 and write a post about what you think you have learned from this critical incident and what the process of reflection is beginning to mean to you.

In semester one, when beginning the Working Together module, I felt nervous and worried about being put in our allocated groups in the process to complete our group presentation.  This put me on edge as I knew I did not know a lot of people on the course  and that my group was going to be with people I would not have the confidence to speak to. Although as the weeks went on I became more of a confident individual and had more courage to voice my opinions to the rest of my peers in the group. The group as a whole began as a slow start with not many people contributing in tasks because of lack of confidence which resulted in our group having lack of knowledge of the tasks we were meant to complete. Being in a collaborative group where all of the three professionals of Teachers, Social workers and CLD students came together, it showed the importance of each profession in relation to the link they have with each other. Through out agency visit to Action for Children and speaking to members of staff who are part of this agency, this can back up the fact of how the three professions link. Reflecting back on the agency visit, it appeared stressful to begin with as we did not quite have a main role lead in our group, so the progress of arranging the visit was slightly tricky but when it all came together and there was now a group leader by this stage, it became easier for us as a group as a whole.

Throughout the completion of group tasks and by analysing our agency visit, we seen that GIRFEC plays a huge role within the three professions and especially has a large impact on us as teachers today. GIRFEC explains that the child is the main approach of the theory and it is within our professions to keep the children in a happy, safe and friendly enviroment. (Scottish Government, 2012)

I began to feel an improvement in my professional development when we had to focus on working together in our groups during semester 1, with people who were randomly put in a group. I felt that in this situation it taught me that by working as a large group, it can become daunting at first but by over coming those so called “ice breakers”, we all began to voice each of our own thoughts which resulted well with great ideas for our final presentation.

Scottish Government (2017) Getting it right for every child (GIRFEC) Available at: http://www.gov.scot/Topics/People/Young-People/gettingitright (Accessed: 22 January 2018)