Week Two

In today’s visual art input, Diarmuid explained that if someone can write, they can automatically draw.  The author Dov Fedler mentioned “My method for teaching is founded on one simple principle: if you can write you can draw. Writing is drawing. And fun.”  I found this concept interesting as a lot of people always discard art with the excuse that they can’t draw.

Creativity lives within ideas and imagination and it is not limited to a person’s ability to draw to a high standard. To back this notion up Diarmuid introduced us to a children’s book called “The Dot” by Peter H. Reynolds.

In this book a child that claims they can’t draw ends up producing multiple art works that became well known. Her artistic ability was developed and nurtured by her teacher who didn’t believe her when she claimed she couldn’t draw.

This book was inspiring to read as it portrayed the power of a good teacher that helps children break barriers that they can sometimes create themselves due to a fear of meeting standards. Sometimes children are afraid to create something because they are not sure of it will be good enough. As teacher’s we need to tell children that whatever they create is valuable.

Today’s art worksop was inspired by “The Dot.”  We had made multiple random imprints on a sheet of paper, we done this by covering our hands in ink and making imprints on the paper. Later, once the ink had dried, I took a pen and tried to make drawings out of the random shapes. I found this interesting as at first, I couldn’t see anything in the ink, to me it just looked like random splodges. However, I later turned the paper around at different angles until I was able to see the markings in a different way. I learned that sometimes when you spend too long attempting to create something, sometimes the pressure of creating can impede imagination and prevent creativity. Taking a break and looking at the shapes in a different angel really sparked my imagination and allowed me to create all sorts of images.

During our drama input we explored the importance of visual aids in drama. Visual aids can sometimes help in creating a mood or setting that can then allow scripts a scene to be made. For example, we were given a painting of a tenement in Glasgow. The building had snow on it, so we agreed that it was during winter, Christmas time.

This gave us a time and festival to base our drama on. We explored the convention flash back and flash forward. This is when during a script we go into the past, the past was the months leading to Christmas when the children were preparing a list for Santa, and talked about what they wanted, the flash forward was Christmas day when the children were opening the gifts and realised, they got what they wanted. This was fun to create as there was a lot of emotions depicted in the scene which was fun to convey. I was acting as the small child and so was able to channel my inner excitement that I thought I would feel when receiving something I asked for. I feel this would be a good lesson for children as the visual provides a great help in creating an atmosphere and setting that the children can develop. It allows them to visualise their settings and makes the acting part easier.

Overall, these sessions taught me that creativity is not just a gift that some people are gifted with. Everyone is creative and creativity can be found anywhere (Samuel and Ohler, 2009), such as being inspired by something as simple as a dot or inspired by a painting.

Fedler, D. (2018). If You Can Write You Can Draw : Dov Fedler : 9780648283898. [online] Bookdepository.com. Available at: https://www.bookdepository.com/If-You-Can-Write-You-Can-Draw-Dov-Fedler/9780648283898 [Accessed 13 Dec. 2019].

Samuel, P. and Ohler, M. (2009). Creativity Is Everywhere and for Everyone – Lean Methods Group. [online] Lean Methods Group. Available at: https://www.leanmethods.com/resources/articles/creativity-everywhere-and-everyone/ [Accessed 12 Dec. 2019].