Why Teaching?

I haven’t always wanted to be a teacher. When I was young I wanted to be a comedian and that was that. I started to drift towards education in the latter years of high school; after I had begun thinking about all those who have helped inspire me, and after I realised I was a hilarious as a rock with a fake moustache.

I always tried to be the “advice giver”, in my past cliques. Either that or I forced people to listen to my opinions, I hope it’s the first option. I enjoyed being placed in a role of responsibility or helping out younger years in both Primary and Secondary school. I put 100% effort into anything I done and I feel that’s how I got where I am today, anyway this is just talking about myself.

I attach my desire to be a teacher solely on two role models I’ve had in my life; my Primary 5 teacher and a PE teacher I had in high school. My primary school teacher is the sort of teacher I think everyone should aspire to be. He was simply brilliant. He got the class engaged in lessons through his humour and enthusiasm, he kept his lessons exciting by using different ways to teach the class, and he became more of a friend than he did teacher. I remember going to him for advice on my nine year old “love life”.  I think this shows that a teacher that inspires as well as teaches goes a long way and this teacher inspired me to inspire others, and by my reckoning that’s a good thing.

One thought on “Why Teaching?

1. Great post! I love your honesty. By the way, it is not necessarily a bad thing to talk about yourself – the way you have done it here is is reflection, and self-awareness is important as a teacher. Keep it up! I think it’s interesting that your P5 teacher was male – this raises interesting issues about male role models for boys perhaps?

Reply