Rachael Murphy UWS ITE ePDP

Reflective Blog – Week 6

This week in Digital Technologies we were learning how to use iMovie to create movies that display the importance of internet safety.  I was intrigued to learn more about this topic right from the beginning of the lesson because I know how important it is to explain how to use the internet safely to children.  Technology has become such a big part of everyone’s lives and society is becoming more and more dependent on it.  Therefore, the next generation should be taught that the internet is a wonderful resource and can help you to achieve many different things, but it is also very dangerous, and we must use it properly.

Most schools are aware of the dangers that are associated with the Internet and have a policy regarding e-safety in place.  However, they are likely to teach their pupils the official policies rather than put it into the reality of pupils’ lives and so it is important to remember that e-safety is not about restricting children, but about educating them (Beauchamp, 2012, p.58).  It has been said that the most successful schools, in terms of e-safety, made ensure that their pupils knew what to do when things went wrong (Beauchamp, 2012, p.60).

As teachers, we shouldn’t convey that technology is always dangerous as the Scottish Government (2015) states that there is conclusive evidence that digital equipment, tools and resources can affect learning in a beneficial way.  They can raise the speed and depth of learning in science and mathematics for primary and secondary learners.  There is also evidence, stated by the Scottish Government that using digital equipment can also benefit some aspects of literacy, especially writing and comprehension (The Scottish Government, 2015).  Therefore, the dangers of the internet and technology should be made aware to children but not scare them into not using it.

In class this week we made movies/movie trailers that would highlight the dangers of the internet to children in groups.  My group’s movie trailer was “Snow White” themed, and its message was “don’t speak to strangers”.  It would tell the pupils that talking to someone you don’t know and meeting that person is very dangerous.  We managed to make our movie trailer entertaining to watch, informative and it related to a real-life situation.  we really enjoyed making this movie and I think we created a very entertaining and education movie trailer.  We especially enjoyed drawing our characters!  The expressions and outcomes that I think would relate to the movie trailer would be for “health and well-being” and “technology”.  For health and well-being, “as I explore the rights to which I and others are entitled, I am able to exercise these rights appropriately and accept the responsibilities that go with them. I show respect for the rights of others” (HWB 0-09a / HWB 1-09a / HWB 2-09a / HWB 3-09a / HWB 4-09a) and “I am developing my knowledge and use of safe and acceptable conduct as I use different technologies to interact and share experiences, ideas and information with others (TCH 1-08a / TCH 2-08a)” and for technologies, “I enjoy playing with and exploring technologies to discover what they can do and how they can help us (TCH 0-01a)”.

In conclusion, I thoroughly enjoyed learning about how to teach internet safety and learning how to use iMovie to aid my teaching.  Internet safety is such an important part of the curriculum because it is about making sure the well-being of every pupil is a positive one.  Every child deserves to be able to use the internet happily and safely.  With that said, I am very glad I know a way to express this importance to my future classes.

Below are some pictures of our movie trailers, the characters that we drew and our first step to making the trailer when we planned out what we wanted to include.

• Beauchamp, G. (2012) ICT in the Primary Classroom: From Pedagogy top Practice. Pearson.
  • The Scottish Government (2015) Literature Review on the Impact of Digital Technology on Learning and Teaching.  [Online] http://dera.ioe.ac.uk/24843/1/00489224.pdf [Accessed: 19 February 2018]