The Scottish Professional Learning Network will convene again this autumn. Co-chairs Rosa Murray, Rosemary Grady and Lesley Henderson warmly invite you to register for the first virtual meeting of the network, to be held using the Webex platform, on the morning of Wednesday 7 October 2020. Please book your place by registering here. Joining instructions will be sent to registrants in advance of the event.
In November 2019, the Network met to consider its response to the draft revised Professional Standards and new Professional Code, published by the General Teaching Council for Scotland (GTC Scotland).
In response to commentary from across the Scottish system, including that from the Network’s November meeting, GTC Scotland has published new draft Professional Standards 2021, which describe teacher professionalism in Scotland, and have multiple purposes:
- to create a shared language for teaching professionals;
- as a benchmark of professional competency;
- to develop and enhance professionalism;
- to support career-long professional growth;
- to provide a framework for Initial Teacher Education, probation and leadership pathways and programmes; and
- to ensure and enhance public trust and confidence in the teaching profession.
The draft Professional Standards 2021 are available to view on the GTC Scotland website and they will be used by the profession from August 2021.
The meeting of the Network on Wednesday 7 October will provide an opportunity to hear from Dr Pauline Stephen, Director of Education, Registration and Professional Learning at GTC Scotland, as well as members of each of the Standards Writing Groups, about the content and thinking behind the new draft. There will be the usual opportunities to discuss, reflect, debate, challenge and share, as well as the regular update from the Learning Directorate at Scottish Government.