Extra-curricular Activities

Moving to university is a challenge in many ways, not least in the overwhelming task of making friends. It feels rather childish, to be calling home and the first question on your parents lips: “have you made any friends?” It feels like the first day of school all over again, which in a way it is. At university, however, the first day lasts a whole week.

I have met more people that I can remember in these first weeks, and can proudly inform my mother that “yes, I have made friends”. I even have photographic evidence, just in case she doesn’t believe me.

Looking beyond my course, and  the peers I know I will spend the next four years with, I began to consider my options in terms of societies and sports teams. I have joined the BSL society, which I am very excited about. Learning to communicate with other people, who I could never have spoken to before, gives me great joy.

The sports teams were rather more intimidating. Walking into the marquee with the Sports Fayre in full swing was overwhelming, to say the least. Athletic figures on all sides, people who clearly take their fitness very seriously, as I munch on Dominos pizza. They’re handing it out free, and I’m poor. It took a lot of courage to put my name down on their list, and I’m ashamed to say I didn’t attend the “give it a go”. Anxiety won that battle.

I gathered my courage, and went to the first training session. I can now proudly say I have attended one water session and the most grueling fitness session I have ever experienced. I am not fit enough, not by a long shot, but I am getting there. I have began to form friendships which would not have been possible otherwise, and I feel I am being accepted.

Pushing myself beyond my comfort zone has been, and will continue to be, a challenge. A challenge I am ready to embrace.