Why teaching?

Today in our IT input we were making our Eportfolio’s. We were asked to write a post explaining why we had decided to chose this course and teaching as a career. These blogs will come in great for writing our experiences and strengths and weaknesses for the future.

My reasoning behind becoming a teacher was mainly down to my 3rd year work experience whilst at school. I attended a primary school for a one week course and loved the idea of doing this as a profession. I feel that it gives you a great opportunity to help young people and develop their understanding. I have also taught dance classes for many years now therefore have always enjoyed teaching children at a young age. It is something which I get a great sense of accomplishment from when I see  a child achieve something which they found it impossible to do.

Throughout my last year of high school I attended a primary school as work experience to really confirm if teaching was what I definitely wanted to do. This experience did that exactly and inspired me to apply for the course. Having grown up since my 3rd year work experience when I first decided I enjoyed the idea of teaching, I noticed within myself how rewarding I was finding working with the children and creating relationships where they knew they could come to me with any problems.

I am extremely excited to be at the start of this course and look forward to the further experiences and challenges which come my way. Having this blog will give me the opportunity to keep an online diary to look back on and remember my time at the University of Dundee completing this course, and possibly continue the blog on once I am a teacher.