Natalie Price EPDP

Sustainable Development

Placement Serial Day Task – Sustainable Development

Mapping of the School

001

Patna Primary have a strong engagement with sustainable education within the school for example, they have a garden area around the playground they have grass and gardens surrounding the playground as well as the Nursery area having a bigger garden which the nursery children go out to play in daily. The children are made aware of keeping the garden area tidy by not littering it. There are bins all around the playground for children to put their rubbish in. At points throughout the week after lunch a few children will help the janitor to litter pick around the playground to keep it tidy. The children enjoy doing this to help out and help keep the environment clean and looked after. In the classroom there are recycling bins there is a normal bin for rubbish and a paper bin which children put paper rubbish in to be recycled. There is also a scrap paper drawer where if children do not use all a sheet of paper they put the unused pieces in the scrap paper drawer to be reused by someone else rather than binning it. In the staff room there are also recycling bins there is the rubbish bin and a bin for cans to be recycled. In the classroom each day there are daily jobs for pupils in the class, the names change daily, one of these jobs is the eco monitor, this person is in charge of the lights and recycling within the classroom, they ensure when everyone is leaving the classroom or another room for example the ICT room that all the lights are switched off and also if in the classroom the lights are not needed on they will switch them off for example when working from the interactive whiteboard therefore this is helping save electricity and allowing them to decide when the lights are needed or not, they also take the recycling paper bin to the larger bin at the office at the end of the day to put all the recycled paper together. Within the school from primary four to primary seven 2 pupils from each class are in the eco council. This council meets monthly to talk to other children and staff around the school to gather ideas about how they can improve the school environment. This encourages the children to make decisions that will help improve their school. These children also inform the classes of what is happening within the school and what is coming up. The children in the eco council have also been dealing with the “shoe box appeal”. They have told all the children about this appeal and created a list of what you can put in these boxes. There is a table in the office where these boxes can be dropped off. Patna Primary School has also achieved their bronze and also silver eco-schools award this means their achievement towards a sustainable lifestyle has been recognised. The silver level recognizes the strength of pupil leadership ad whole school involvement. Patna is currently working to achieve their Green Flag Award.

Within the school there is a wide range of play space for children there is a large playground which surrounds the school. The Nursery also have their own fenced playground to allow them to play in there at any time of the day. The playground for the children is very suitable and at lunchtime a variety of playground toys are brought out to be played with. The infants have a separate part of the playground from the upper end of the school. The children enjoy playing with the variety of toys that are brought out for example hula hoops, scooters, bean bags and skipping ropes. There is a large amount of play space within the playground and children are allowed to run freely and use this space. There is also a large gym hall which can be used for play space indoors, there is lots of room for children to participate in p.e in this hall without accidents happening due to lack of space. This hall can be used for any indoor sports or activities. The children participate in the Daily Mile which they run round the whole school playground 4 times, there is plenty of space to allow them to do this and they enjoy running freely. Within the school there is also a technology room which can be used for play or when children need time out there is toys and resources to play and have their own space in this room.

I had a discussion with some of the children about the aspects of sustainable education. The children all understand the importance of recycling and using the correct bin for rubbish not just at school but also at home. They could give examples of recycling at home. They also know about the importance of saving electricity by switching off the lights when not needed and are very aware of why this is important. I spoke to the eco monitor for that day and they told me their jobs and how they enjoy doing this role as it makes them aware of the importance of these things not just in school but at home also. I asked the children about litter picking and they told me they enjoyed helping out with this and they enjoy looking after the environment by binning their litter. The children have an understanding of the importance of these things to help our environment and are putting them into action to help look after our environment.

school      x

Week 6 : Theme – Diversity

download

Learning Log

Key Learning – 

This weeks theme was diversity. We looked at what we meant by diversity and also the two aspects of it: biodiversity and cultural diversity. We also looked at why biodiversity was important and the threats to it. In Louise’s workshop we looked at cultural diversity and social equity. This was very interesting. We looked at diversity and sustainability and global diversity and why it was necessary. We looked at how the CFE covers diversity and that language of rights and responsibilities are embedded in CFE. We looked at the variety of experiences and outcomes starting from early level, this shows this is taught and covered from a very young age. One example is HWB 0-09a “As I explore the rights to which I and others are entitled, I am able to exercise these rights appropriately and accept the responsibilities that go with them. I show respect for the rights of others.” In Louise’s workshop we also looked at The Capabilities Approach. We looked at the 10 capabilities needed for a life of fulfillment and dignity these were: life, bodily health, bodily integrity, senses, imagination and thought, emotions, practical reason, affiliation, other species, play and control over one’s environment. We also looked at how diverse is Scotland, we had to consider what percentages we thought it would be ethnic minority, born outwith Scotland etc. This was very interesting to compare the figure to what we thought as a group which was much higher. Only 4% are considered ethnic minority within Scotland. We also had a workshop from the RSPB. The RSPB is the UK charity working to secure a healthy environment for birds and all wildlife, helping to create a better world for everyone. This was very interesting. We had a variety of different activities to do that we could take into the school and do them with kids. One was pond dipping where we had to use the net to try and find insects, we then put them in a tray and scooped them into a magnifying tub then looked at the sheet with different insects to see what we had caught. We also had an art workshop where we looked at the different colours and textures of the leaves and anything we could find. We had to make a picture out of these things explaining what we had been doing at pond dipping for example I got a tick and leaves and made the net. There was then another we had a sheet with a list of trees and had to find leaves and see which tree they were from. The final one was we had to think about we would design a playground for the outdoor learning for example add in a  bird house, garden and vegetable patch. These were all very interesting and gave me new ideas of how I would take this into schools and also think about the precautions of taking the children outside. Children would enjoy all of these activities. These workshops increased my views on these topics and made me more comfortable with taking children outdoors to carry out these activities.

15134659_1176974692356355_3751146267849520879_n              15232241_1176974735689684_3798265794168398662_n

Week 5 : Theme – Energy                                                                                                             download-1

Learning Log                                                                                                            

Key Learning –

This weeks theme was energy. We looked at the sustainability for years of production left in the ground with the most optimistic reserve estimates, the estimate for oil was 45 years, for gas it was 72 years and for coal 252 years. We looked at viable alternatives to fossil fuels and how to find new ways to generate electricity, power vehicles and make materials. First Minister Alex Salmond says “Today marks a major milestone in the global journey towards a low carbon future. The wave and tidal projects announced today underline the rich natural resources of the waters of Scotland.  We also discussed using hydrogen as a fuel and how this has high energy efficiency, it can be produced from water and has no carbon emissions. We looked at the different types of biofuel: bioethanol  and biodiesel. Bioethanol is an alcohol based fuel made from fermenting sugar, maize or other cereals. 5% can be added to petrol without adjustments, engines need altered to run higher concentrations and fuel is renewable but uses large areas of farmlands which could be used for food production. Biodiesel is made by reacting oils like vegetable oil with alcohol. It can be used with regular diesel or on its own and engines do not need to modified. We then in the workshop looked at electricity and I found out different terms used in this topic for example matter – all matter is made from units called atoms and atoms are made of smaller particles called subatomic particles. A current is a flow of electrical charges (electrons. Voltage is the force required by electrons to move through objects. We looked at different circuits and also found out magnetism is a natural invisible force that attracts some metals especially iron and steel. We had a workshop with Andrew experimenting various activities related to electricity for example using water to light a bulb and use light to make a toy car move. We then looked at another about how charged objects will attract uncharged objects. These experiments were very interesting and showed what I could do in the classroom to teach electricity. Then we had a workshop with Louise this was the Alternative Energy Debate,we worked in groups noting down key ideas for and against wind turbines and then joined to a larger group to share our facts and ideas. We then decided if we were mainly for or against wind turbines. My group was mainly against as we had more points on against to use in the debate. We then had a class debate where four speakers from each side debated on wine turbines. This was very interesting as it showed us both the pros and cons of wind turbines and how many different views there were on them.

15036241_1166288806758277_7899304830186205856_n  15107213_1166288870091604_8392752976703665941_n

Impact on my views:

My views on electricity were increased after this workshop as it taught me many more new facts about how important it is and the many ways we use it. It showed me a variety of experiments and ways I can teach children about electricity and how I can make it more enjoyable for them as there was a lot of practical activities. I enjoyed the debate in Louise’s workshops as this made me think about what I agree and disagree with about wind turbines and also learn new facts about the importance of them. This was enjoyable to take part in. My views have changed now and I have considered the importance of energy and what the best source would be. I have also gained more knowledge about electricity and the impact it has on daily life.

Future Aims: 

My future aims for this theme is to continue to study more into energy including electricity by doing some further readings. Also to teach the children about the facts and knowledge I have learnt through various activities which will make it more interesting for them to learn and allow them to realise the importance of energy in our world and the different types you can get and what would be the best to use.

Week 4 : Theme – Disasters                                                                  

Learning Log 

Key Learning – 

This weeks theme was disasters, this included natural disasters and the political and economic considerations of disasters. A disaster is only when human society is impacted for example social disruption, material damage and loss of life. Burton et al 1978 say it is only “considered a disaster when it costs more than one million or 100 deaths”. We discovered the different types of natural disasters for example Earthquakes, Tsunamis, Fires, Volcanoes and Typhoons. We looked at the human impact on natural disasters for example urbanisation and global warming and also land use including deforestation, road cutting and construction. We also looked at the risk assessment of natural disasters and the hazards for example an earthquake which causes a Tsunami or landslide. Floods can also cause public hygiene problems and leads to epidemic of disease. The risk increases with population growth. Therefore the impact is area of the world +preparedness of the area. We looked at the preparation and response to a disaster at various levels including local level where we can listen to the local forecasting systems and build community supports, National Level and what the Government action and policy is as well as forecasting systems, International Level where people assist governments by funding and providing resources. They work with all stakeholders to find solutions. The role of the Government is to prepare communities and urban areas by carrying out hazard assessments, providing structures to support and communicate procedures e.g. evacuation. They also have the role to respond quickly by providing search and rescue teams, sanitation, food and healthcare. They will work with communities and International partners to provide disaster response and help with the rebuilding of infrastructure and communities. They will work to re-home displaced populations. Some key International organisations are the United Nations, World Food Programme and World Health Organisation.  The role of these International organisations are to work with the governments within and between the nations, support government actions and prioritise humanitarian needs involved in disasters and conflicts. Some of the main Non-International Organisations are Save the children, Red Cross and Oxfam. The roles of the NGOs are to have an unbiased approach and be politically neutral and will work alongside governments. They will prioritise humanitarian needs, work to prepare communities for example with education and communication. They will provide relief efforts and first aid and will be more flexible as they will work effectively with communities and distribute aid fairly. We looked at two case studies of the Japan Earthquake in 2011 and the Haiti Earthquake in 2010 and we looked at the different forms of aid for many types of things including emergency aid, military, financial and voluntary aid.

amazing-natural-disasters

Impact on my views:

After reading the case studies made me realise how many things and people are affected by these disasters, as they are not close to our home I did not realise the extreme effect these can make. The thing I had never thought about was from the Haiti earthquake the prison was destroyed and this resulted in the escape of 4000 inmates. I never thought of this before and the effects all these bring to the country. Looking at these case studies made me realise the impact these disasters leave behind. After learning about many types of disasters and facts about them made me realise it is important to teach children what is happening around us in other countries of the world and what disasters they face. I found a Curriculum for Excellence experience and outcome SOC 2-07b which says “I can describe the physical processes of a natural disaster and discuss its impact on people and the landscape”. This allowed me to base lesson plans and activities around disasters to teach the children about them and the many effects they have.

Future aims: 

My future aims for this theme are to teach the children about disasters and the effects happening around the world caused by disasters. This allows them to have knowledge and understanding of the many types of disasters and although they are not close to us it allows them to know how they could help and the different charities and organisations that help with the impact of disasters.

picture1

Disasters Study Task Week 4 –                                                                           

Our study task for the theme disasters was to work in groups to create a presentation based on a type of disaster. My group topic was Earthquakes. I found this task very useful and it allowed me to learn more facts about earthquakes, I also found it very helpful to hear my peers presentations on different types of disasters as this allowed me to learn more about them and how I could teach them. I looked into how I would teach the topic earthquakes and different activities and lesson plans that could be used in the classroom, this made me feel more confident about teaching these topics. Throughout making my presentation I found it very interesting learning about different facts and things I hadn’t known before including some safety tips and what to do before and after an earthquake. I also learnt some new vocabulary associated with earthquakes for example seismic waves, richter scale and epicenter. I also found out about a seismograph which is used for recording the intensity and direction of an earthquake and also a seismogram which is the recording they make. Overall I found this a useful task to do and present as it made me more confident in presenting and on the topic and gave me more ideas on how I could teach it as well as learning different things from my peers and their topics.

Week 3: Theme: Interdependence

Interdependence is the way in which two or more living things depend on each other to grow and remain healthy.

Friday 14th October 2016 learning log –

The first workshop of the day was a lecture from Sammi Jones from Food for Life Scotland. The first activity which we participated in was a soil quiz. The quiz allowed me to see what I already knew about soil and allowed me to gain a further and deeper understanding of soil and the many different facts about it for example Healthy soils store more carbon than all the forests in the world; helping us to combat climate change and 95% of our food relies on healthy soils, with one-quarter of the world’s biodiversity is found in the soil which supports most of the food chains on our planet. This lecture was interesting as it allowed me gain more information on soil and the importance it really has in our lives.

In the afternoon we went on a farm visit, this was a modern farm we visited called Strandhead Farm in Tarbolton. This was very interesting as it was different from any other farm I had visited as it was all electronically ran. This allowed me to know more about where my food comes from and I find this is important to teach children from a young age so they have an understanding and where they get their food. We got to see what goes on and happens in the day of the farm and many interesting facts about where our food comes from and what happens in daily life in the farm. I am now going to be more aware of where the food I buy has came from and try and buy more locally sourced meat.

14716354_1141101879276970_2598789526590943084_n          14731173_1141101469277011_4515104640367888679_n

Interdependence Study Task Week 3 

For this study task, we were to work in small groups to create a Piktochart. We had to read readings and take notes to create the Piktochart using an infographic to display the information we read. It had to cover various aspects including Biodiversity,  Economy and Industry, Community Impact and Political elements. I enjoyed making the infographic as I have never used Piktochart before, This allowed me to discover what different things you can use this for and how I could use it in the classroom or allow pupils to make their own.

This is the link to my infographic created on Piktochart – https://www.dropbox.com/s/k674fxwao4okvg0/Photo%2002-11-2016%2C%2022%2056%2019.jpg?dl=0

Study Task Week 2 – Climate Change

I completed the WWF measure your footprint task and my carbon footprint was 177%. This was broken down into different categories to allow me to see where my highest percentage was. My breakdown was Food – 17%, Home – 22%, Travel – 53% and Stuff – 8%. Things that would help me decrease these percentages would be starting to buy more seasonal food, check my house for insulation and double glazing, take up cycling or walk more often and recycle and buy second hand. My annual total carbon emissions is 17.7 tonnes.

14642254_1141103885943436_4272155190120223708_n   14581299_1141103882610103_592725767381524688_n

I can shrink my carbon footprint by

Changing my diet – There are six simple steps for a healthy sustainable diet if we are to achieve a future where people and nature thrive together we need to reconsider the types of food we eat in the U.K and where and how our food is produced.

The question then is how do we reduce the impact of food we consume and manage to feed the world’s growing population.

Over a quarter of the world’s population do not have enough food, over 40% of the worlds grown harvest is fed to livestock. Farming animals for meat and dairy requires huge inputs of land and water for growing animal feed.

There is a campaign called Plant2Plate which is introduced to people while still at school to growing and cooking their own food in a sustainable way. This has been introduced to 600,000 primary children so far throughout a range of activities as nowadays we have disconnected the way our food is grown and produced.

When you shop, check for labels that tell you a product has been sustainably sourced like FSC for wood products which works to a strict set of guidelines to ensure forest product have been harvested according to.

Find out more about climate change, we need to cut man made greenhouse gas emissions drastically and move away from fossil fuels and move to renewable energy. We need to use low energy and be more efficient in the energy that we use and need to tackle deforestation and eat less meat.

We have knowledge and technology to reduce our impact on the climate and ease the pressures on the worlds most vulnerable places, people and wildlife, we just need to make it happen.

We know climate change is happening and know it is caused by our actions therefore we need to change our actions in many ways to prevent climate change.

Climate Change Scotland Act 2009

Reducing greenhouse gas emissions and transitioning to a low carbon economy will help create a more successful country with opportunities for all of Scotland to flourish through increasing sustainable economic growth.

The Climate Change Scotland Act 2009 makes it a legal requirement for Scotland to reduce its greenhouse gas emissions by 80% by 2050 and sets an interim target of 42% by 2020, based on 1990 levels. In order to achieve this target it is widely recognised individuals have a very important role to play in lowering their carbon footprint.

The act includes reduction targets for emissions, advisory functions, reporting duties, duties of public bodies, land use, energy efficiency and waste reduction and recycling.

The key behaviour areas where environmentally-friendly behaviour is encouraged so that people can lower their carbon footprint are: Travel, Home energy, Food & drink, Waste, Water usage and Shopping.

In addition to the environmental benefits of individuals adopting lower carbon lifestyles, there may be physical health benefits for example people walking and cycling more instead of using the car for short journeys and mental health benefits for example mental health benefits associated with using green-space and cycling paths as a break from modern life. There may also be financial benefits for example simple energy saving around the home.

Current policies focus on providing individuals with information and making them aware of the link between their behaviour and climate change. By providing information, it is hoped that this will change people‟s attitude; however, there is sometimes an attitude-behaviour gap and changing behaviour is more difficult than changing attitudes.

The 2009 Act requires the Scottish Government to deliver a public engagement strategy to promote awareness of climate change and explain how environmentally-friendly behaviour can help combat climate change. The strategy outlines the steps that the Scottish Government is taking to:

• Inform people about climate change targets set in the legislation
  • Encourage people to help contribute towards these targets being met
  • Identify actions people may take to lead more carbon sustainable lifestyles

Social psychologists have long recognised that people‟s behaviour is influenced by the behaviour of people around them. Climate change behaviours are therefore influenced by what is the social norm. A good example of where changing social norms over the past 10 years have dictated behavioural change is in recycling, where it is now the social norm to recycle household waste. This change in attitude and behaviour is partly as a result of local government waste regulations and improved recycling infrastructure & services.

Habits are vital to our behaviour and destructive behaviours must be adjusted for environmentally-friendly behavioural change to occur. If new environmentally-friendly routines fit 11 easily into existing routines, then this is likely to change habits over time. For example, changing the habit from travelling to work using a car to using public transport is only likely to be achieved if it fits into the existing routing with a similar or quicker travel period and a good, consistent and affordable service. Also now legislation requires shops to charge for plastic bags, people are taking their own shopping bags with them when they go shopping and this is now habitual behaviour.

Appropriate infrastructure is essential to promote behavioural change. Local authorities now provide recycling bins with a regular collection service, so the infrastructure is in place for recycling household waste.

Learning Log – Week 2 – Climate Change 

Key Learning: 

At the beginning of the lecture we were asked “what is climate change?” this got me thinking if I actually knew what climate change really was and the impact my lifestyle choices had on causing climate change.  We looked at what is causing climate change and the evidence of it. We then looked at the impacts of climate change for example higher temperatures, fresh water shortages, higher sea levels and extreme weather events will each affect regions differently. I was then introduced to the Climate Change Scotland Act 2009 which aims to reduce emissions from 1990 levels by 42% by 2020 and by 80% by 2050. We then looked at politics and global warming covering the North-South Split. We also looked at the International milestones relating to these topics which was very interesting to hear about things in the past and compare them to what is happening now. We —compared effective and ineffective climate policies and looked at how political processes can help or hinder environmental causes. As well as looking at the adaption and mitigation options and different case studies to learn and understand more about this topic. We looked at global warming and weather with Andrew and carried out tasks which I found interesting and useful to use out in placements with children to gain them more understanding. One of the tasks I enjoyed doing was the weather font experiment where we had to fill a tank with room temperature water, place a few small pebbles in two cups to act as weights, pour some hot water and a few drops of red food colouring in one of the cups and fill the other with old water and add some blue food colouring then we had to place the two cups in the water at the same time one at either end of the tank and watch how the two different coloured waters move. The warmer red water rose to the top and the cooler blue water sank to the bottom as warm air is less dense than cold air, so warm air rises and pushes down with less pressure than cold air. As cold air becomes denser, so it sinks and also pushes down with greater pressure. I found this task very useful and interesting to use in schools.

14705633_1141102315943593_248435127025072074_n         14666258_1141102372610254_65258069348082570_n

Impact on my views: 

Before having this lecture and workshops on climate change I had never really thought a lot about it and what I could do better to prevent it. Now after having seeing all the impacts my lifestyle choices have on climate change and how easy it is to help prevent it, I now think differently of it and find it more interesting as I now know it is something I can help prevent. I found it very interesting doing the footprint task as it allowed me to see a breakdown of my percentages and what I need to do to help more. This allows me to tell my family and future pupils about climate change and how we can all help. After researching about the Climate Change Scotland Act 2009 it has gained me a further understanding and knowledge of many different facts about climate change ad the importance to change my choices to benefit the planet. The climate change information booklet on moodle allowed me to find out some interesting facts and more on climate change aswell as some activities to do relating to the topic and this allows me to take these facts and tasks into school placements to allow the children to gain a further understanding on climate change and what they can do to help.

Future Aims:

I am going to continue thinking about my lifestyle choices and the impact these have on climate change to ensure I make the correct choice. I am going to tell my family about these choices so they can gain a further understanding and we can work together to stop climate change.

Learning Log – Week 1

The Environment

Key learning:

At the beginning of the day we were asked “What does the environment mean to you?”. At first I tried to think about “what is the environment?”. Growing up in the countryside meant I spent most my time playing outdoors at grassy areas or local play parks. I hadn’t thought much on the environment and the main things that come with it or the importance it had and that the environment can actually effect the neighbourhood in where you live. In the lecture we spoke about the different types of environment which I had never thought of before, they were urban environment and the natural environment. It was researched that urban populations make up around 82% of the UK total and that these are ever growing and expanding (http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/SP.URB.TOTL.IN.ZS). Throughout our day we got to go out and explore the environment ourselves by doing a variety of different tasks for example tree rubbings and looking for different plants and birds. I enjoyed doing these tasks as it allowed me to see more of the environment and parts that I had never thought of before. This also helped me think of how I would teach pupils about the environment and different tasks they could take part in to explore it themselves. I enjoyed these tasks as they were very practical and children will enjoy them more as they are getting to explore for themselves. This made me have more confidence in teaching pupils these topics outdoors rather than spending it all indoors. Writing about my urban environment has made me realise what there is around me and the impact this all has on my neighbourhood.

Impact on my views:

Growing up spending a lot of time outdoors has made an impact on my thoughts on environment and how it is so important for children to spend time outdoors rather than spend it all on technology nowadays. I loved being outdoors and going on school trips which were usually to local country parks where we would spend the day being outdoors and exploring. Also during secondary school biology we visited the beach area and looked at different parts of the beach and insects that we found. This was interesting and allowed everyone to explore and gain further understanding on the importance of  these living things. Now I am older I do not spend as much time outdoors unless I am out walking but throughout this module I am hoping I will be able to spend more time outdoors and appreciate the environment around us. After having studied and completed the task by Louise looking at different plants, birds, trees, insects etc, I realised that these things are around in my daily life but i took no notice to them or their importance. Also the activity with Andrew where we got to make our own plants was fun and will be helpful to use with kids as it was very practical and children will enjoy watching and recording what happens to their plants.

Future Aims:

I am going to continue to spend as much time outdoors and read more on the environment. I am going to think about how I can teach these topics to pupils and activities to do with them to allow them to learn about the environment from a young age and how they can help save it and have fun whilst doing so.

Sustainable Development Directed Study Task Week 1: The Urban Environment

mossblownc

My urban environment is a small village in the countryside outside of Ayr called Mossblown. This is approximately 15 minutes from Ayr. It is a village in South Ayrshire and was a coal mining community but the mines have been closed for some time now. Most recently in 2010-2011 the population of the village has grown, with new housing both private and council, this is the latest expansion in housing development since a private housing scheme was built in 1990s.

A railway which still runs through the village used to serve as the main rail link from Stranraer to London, but this route has long since been demoted from public service and all services now go via Ayr. There are two bus routes which serve the village, the times for these vary accordingly but generally there are two buses per hour which allows villagers to commute to Ayr. There are many bus stops situated around the village which are close to many houses and main roads. There is a main road in Mossblown which leads to the main country road through Auchincruive leading to Ayr.

As this is a small village in the countryside there is lots of green space and areas to play outdoors. Growing up as a child there was lots of opportunities to play outdoors. Sport is often played in Mossblown and there are many places to play it. There are currently two amateur football teams in the village. It is also served by a sports activity centre, typical activities within the centre include football, badminton, tennis, gymnastics, basketball, volleyball, aerobics, dance classes and various martial arts groups. There is also a small gym containing various equipment. Throughout the school holidays the activity centre run a variety of different activities and games for children to attend. They also run an after school care club daily for children to attend.

This is the link to Mossblown Activity Centre which includes further information:  http://www.south-ayrshire.gov.uk/leisure/activity-centres/mossblown/

activity

The village is served by its local library. It has a grocery store which also hosts the post office services, several take away shops, hairdressers, bakers, betting shop. There is also a butcher van and a fish monger van which comes round the village weekly to allow people who do not have access to Ayr to go to them. These vans are very popular with the elderly and deliver their products fresh to their door.

library

There is a sports court next to the school playground which allows children to play football or basketball and take part in a variety of outdoor sports or have physical education outdoors. There is also a large part of green space which has football nets which is a common place for kids to play and also the local football teams train and play here.

There are various types of buildings in Mossblown. From older built houses looking “tired” and buildings that no longer get used and are known as “run down” to new built housing estates and sandstone buidings.

Mossblown has a lot of green space as it is in the countryside. There are many farms and green areas. There is also Annbank woods which runs through Mossblown leading you into the next village Annbank. There is a lot of green space and lots of grassy areas which children like to play at with footballs or different sports or go cycling etc. There are lots of farms around Mossblown which have a variety of different animals in them. It also has several play parks for children to go to.

There is a local nursery and primary school in the village which has their own playground and garden along with areas the pupils can go outdoors throughout the school day. There is also a community centre next to the school which can be used for any activities for the school e.g. school shows. In the community centre there is also a playgroup for young children and their parents to attend. This is also open to the public to use.

There is a health centre located in the centre of the village which has doctors and nurses available daily. They provide any help and services people may require and give information on any problems. There is also a health visitor available weekly for children’s check-ups etc.  There is also a chemist next to this to allow people to get any medication or advice they require.

There is a sheltered housing area in the village to serve the elderly and is protected by a warden who checks on them regularly as well as carers who go and attend to the elderly. There is a main house building which has staff in it and has many activities daily for the elderly for example board games or bingo and to allow them to socialise. In the village there is also a care home. This is surrounded by gardens and countryside.

temple

Mossblown has a variety of things to do outdoors including a variety of places to play sports. It has many factors which can benefit our social development at all ages and provides resources for the community as well as lifelong care from the health centre to elderly warden officers.