FAQ: When do we have to upload our game?

Teams will have to upload their game and any supporting documentation by the 8th May 2020.

What kind of supporting documentation?

Judges will be looking for background research into the Five Rights. This could be a presentation, video, photographs or an animation.

Scratch Game

Please remember that if your team’s picked to attend the final, you will have to re create your game on the day. You will have approximately two hours to do this so please don’t make your game too complicated.

You will be allowed to take your backgrounds and characters on a memory stick but not the code.

FAQ: Can we have more than 4 in a Team?

I am afraid we cannot accept teams of 5 for the reasons below,

• Other teams may think it is unfair
  • We may not have enough prizes if a team of 5 win
  • Schools may then ask if they can have a team of 6

We would suggest the options below,

• Have 2 smaller teams made up of 3 and 2
  • The 5 pupils could work together in school on a couple of games before deciding which team will have which game to submit for their competition entry
  • Work with cluster schools (this could be done online)

FAQ: Scratch Accounts

As a teacher you have the ability to request a teaching account via the Scratch website. After you have created your teacher account, you can then generate accounts for your students without the need for email addresses. You can set up the accounts with first name, seat number or any name that the pupils would like to use.

However, please do run this past your local information security officer to make sure that they are happy with this process.

https://scratch.mit.edu/educators/#teacher-accounts

Webinars

In preparation for the GamesCon event, Jim McLean, Education Officer, Aberdeenshire Council, will be hosting some webinars via a Team site in Glow. The code for the Team site will be given to you once you have completed the registration form below.

https://bit.ly/2uSKJu3

First Webinar is an Introduction to Scratch

12th February 2020, 19:00 – 20:00

CPD Sessions via West College Scotland

West College Scotland have just launched some brilliant online CPD sessions for their GamesJam competitions. The sessions are open to all Glow users and will link nicely to our Northern Alliance GamesCon event.

Please click on the graphic below to access the full webpage.

Links to Expressive Arts

During the event students could be,

• creating characters and graphics for their game
  • creating presentations and videos as part of their research
  • creating music and sound effects to use in their game

Expressive Arts Experiences and Outcomes

Experiences in the expressive arts involve creating and presenting and are practical and experiential.

I have experienced the energy and excitement of presenting/performing for audiences and being part of an audience for other people’s presentations/performances. EXA 0-01a / EXA 1-01a / EXA 2-01a 

I have the opportunity to choose and explore an extended range of media and technologies to create images and objects, comparing and combining them for specific tasks. EXA 2-02a

I can create and present work that shows developing skill in using the visual elements and concepts. EXA 2-03a

I can develop and communicate my ideas, demonstrating imagination and presenting at least one possible solution to a design problem. EXA 2-06a

I can use my voice, musical instruments and music technology to experiment with sounds, pitch, melody, rhythm, timbre and dynamics.  EXA 2-17a

Inspired by a range of stimuli, and working on my own and/or with others, I can express and communicate my ideas, thoughts and feelings through musical activities. EXA 1-18 / EXA 2-18a

Click the above graphic to access the document

Links to Numeracy and Mathematics

Computing science and maths are closely related, and as a discipline computing science has its roots in mathematics as the first computing machine made by Charles Babbage was built to solve mathematical problems.

During the event the students would most likely be exploring :

• 2D and 3D models 
  • Co-ordinates , precise positioning of a sprite on a computer display 
  • Chance and Uncertainty (randomisation)
  • Time: recording and displaying, duration of time (showing how long a
  • player has taken to complete a level for example)
  • Measurement , creating graphics to fill specific spaces calculated in pixels, understanding  and demonstrating knowledge of different measurement units
  • Angles and Symmetry: On screen sprites May be required to turn specific angles, or grow or shrink, or sprites may be mirrored , horizontally, inclined or vertically.
  • Patterns : pattern recognition is a key computational thinking skill to efficiently develop algorithms
  • Boolean algebra : If , And , Not 

Examples of some relevant numeracy and mathematics from the CfE experiences and outcomes

Having determined which calculations are needed, I can solve problems involving whole numbers using a range of methods, sharing my approaches and solutions with others. MNU 2-03a

Having explored the need for rules for the order of operations in number calculations, I can apply them correctly when solving simple problems. MTH 2-03c

I can use and interpret electronic and paper-based timetables and schedules to plan events and activities, and make time calculations as part of my planning.  MNU 2-10a

I can carry out practical tasks and investigations involving timed events and can explain which unit of time would be most appropriate to use MNU 2-10b

Having explored a range of 3D objects and 2D shapes, I can use mathematical language to describe their properties, and through investigation can discuss where and why particular shapes are used in the environment. MTH 2-16a

Through practical activities, I can show my understanding of the relationship between 3D objects and their nets.  MTH 2-16b

I can draw 2D shapes and make representations of 3D objects using an appropriate range of methods and efficient use of resources.  MTH 2-16c

Register Here

Click on the graphic below to register your team for the Northern Alliance GamesCon.

Please note that you can register more than one team if required.

Teams can register from Monday 7th October 2019 – Monday 6th April 2020