Feeding back on Feedback

For me, feedback is a hugely effective tool that can allow you to take control of your own learning whilst allowing your peers to help guide you to success. However, it is important to understand what makes useful feedback and what has little or no use. Below is a video clip that outlines 5 tips for giving useful feedback (in this video, feedback is referred to as ‘recommendations’). If you look at Assessment Futures (2009) Guidelines for giving and receiving feedback, you will see that this document also see that the same 5 tips feature here.

http://www.uts.edu.au/sites/default/files/Giving-and-Receiving-Feedback.pdf

When giving feedback to my peers during this task, I consulted both of these sources before and after reading their work. This level of feedback was relatively new to me so I felt it important to pay great attention to the guidelines. I felt that being realistic was important however also felt it crucial to always maintain consideration for the person’s feelings. Therefore, being sensitive is also a key element in being able to provide useful feedback. However, feedback is only useful if it is honest. It is often hard to pick out areas for improvement when the work is of such a high standard and therefore I simply resorted to recommending a point that the writer may not have written about. I soon realised that this was often the case with my work also. Although honesty is important, it is equally important to also mention strong areas in their work, which can be carried into future writing.

When it came to receiving feedback, I found it to be a very positive experience and actually got me thinking a lot more about the standard of my own work and how I can try to improve it in certain areas. In most cases, my peers had commented on a point that I had not written about. This forced me to consider the depth of my work and how I should try to consider more outlooks on a particular issue, something that I will attempt to tackle in future. It also gave me a new sense of pride in my work as I realised that other student teachers had taken the time to read and critique my work. This idea of having value within a group may be able to be carried into the classroom and help to develop pupils’ sense of self-worth. Feedback can act as a hugely effective way of involving children in each other’s learning and helping to develop a sense of community within the classroom, which in turn can help children realise their own responsibilities in their learning journey.

When offering feedback in the future I will continue to follow the guidelines offered in order to help my peers reach the highest standard of teaching possible. I will also carry these guidelines into the classroom so that the pupils in my class are able to meet their full potential. Useful feedback is hugely effective in boosting self-esteem, which may then drive pupils to succeed and reach aims within the classroom. Feedback is crucial for both students and teachers, however only works fully when both parties cooperate.

One thought on “Feeding back on Feedback

1. I really like how you’ve reflected on feedback and spoken about how it makes you view your own work. The video is also a great resource!

Reply