Identifying Skills and Abilities

Activities for unit 1 Personal and Interpersonal Skills and Abilities

1. Identifying Skills and Abilities

Activity 1

1. Below are a list of skills and abilities. Complete an audit of where you are now. Record this in your learning journal/portfolio.

Rate yourself (1=Not very well developed; 3=very well developed)

Skills and Abilities 1 2 3
Self Confidence                     X

Set Personal Goals                           X
Team Work                          X

Listen to Others                            X
Contribute to Discussions                          X

Computing Skills                          X

Use Technology                             X
Organise and Plan                             X

Activity 2

1. Complete the audit below, using the information from the table above.
Recognition Reflection Action
Skills already developed How I will use these How do I know (evidence)**
·             Set Personal Goals

·             Organise and Plan

I believe that setting personal goals gives you something to focus on and achieve. It is good practise for deadlines and keeps you motivated. I prioritise my work and set goals within a realistic time-frame. I set myself goals by writing in my diary, writing to-do lists and writing up a study timetable to finish a certain amount of work before the end of the week and to keep up to date with reading and TDT’s.
·             Listen to Others I think listening to others will benefit me in transferring, learning and gaining more knowledge from other people’s perspectives. I have already used and contributed these skills in primary classrooms and in group discussions in lectures/workshops.
·             Computing Skills Technology is growing more and more everyday and as a professional I will need to access a range of learning methods through ICT.  I want to use Technology as much as possible in the classroom to make effective use of he resources available on the online world. Through out my education we were shown how to use electronic white boards, E.g. Smart Board.
I have been involved in basic computing courses throughout school, so I have an understanding of how to use technology.

Recognition Reflection
Skills to be developed How I will develop these
·             Self Confidence

·             Team Work

·             Contribute to Discussions

I have always struggled with my confidence and try to push myself more and more everyday. I tend to sit back and let others speak. But I’m hoping that being at university will boost my confidence to interact and be more involved in discussions.
              Use Technology I engage with technology everyday but need to be more proactive with my ePortfolio by posting blog posts more often.

** This section should be completed as you identify when/where/how you have used/developed these skills.