Personal audit & transferable skills

Activity 1

1. Below are a list of skills and abilities. Complete an audit of where you are now. Record this in your learning journal/portfolio.

Rate yourself (1=Not very well developed; 3=very well developed)

Skills and Abilities

1

2

3

Organise and plan  *
 contribute to discussions  *
 Use technology  *
 Debate formally and informally  *
 Work on own initiative  *
 Computing skills  *
 Take notes  *

Although it is important to identify where we are now, it is not enough to stop there. We need to reflect upon how we can develop the skills where we are less confident and how we can transfer the skills in which we are confident and competent.

Activity 2

Complete the audit below, using the information from the table above.

Recognition Reflection Action
Skills already developed How will I use these How do I know (evidence)**
 Taking notes  To get the most out of lectures, taking notes will help me to remember the important points.  I have already taken notes in many of my lectures and they have later proven useful as I have used them to help me carry out tutor directed tasks.
 Using technology  Using word to write essays and the online library to search for resources. Also university email is useful for getting advice when I need it.  I have already used technology a lot already at university. I have been using glow and my Dundee.
 Organising and planning  Organising is crucial, if I am organised I will be able to use my time more effectively. Similarly planning will help me to get everything done on time and I will know what needs to be done each day.  I have already used planning last year at school and it helped me to space put my workload and get everything done in plenty time. I have already started planning for university assignments and it has made me feel more confident in tackling them. Planning leads to a feeling of being organised.
Computing skills  There are lots of resources online e.g. Books or journal articles, my Dundee and my university webmail are both online so it is important that I have a certain level of computing skills to be able to access these.  I have had to use computing skills in some of my workshops and again to be able to access online resources that the university have provided like adding to my eportfolio.
 Working on own initiative  This skill will be used to gain further information from what we have been learning in lectures, this is important as a lot of further reading is required.  I have noticed that whenever I look further into what we have been learning in lectures I gain a clearer understanding of the subject.
Debating formally and informally  Debate is also important in lectures as it allows more than one view point to be put forward. It is also useful for reaching a conclusion.
  Sometimes my fellow students decide to debate with a lecturer about a point they have made. This is useful as it allows others to see more than one viewpoint

** This section should be completed as you identify when/where/how you have used/developed these skills.