Why teaching?

Teaching has always been an integral part of my life from a young age; with my mum owning, and running an early years practice in my home town of Guildford. Since this time I have periodically worked and helped at the practice, whether it be for a little extra pocket money, or purely for the enjoyment of working and watching children grow and learn at such a young age. This led me to a job within a primary school within an after school care club, in which my enthusiasm and enjoyment in caring and teaching children flourished. It was here that I finally decided on a career choice, after an arduous seventeen years of wanting to become; a footballer, an actor, a singer and even a dinosaur. Finally an epiphany came; I was due to work at the school, and I could not dream of a worse way to spend my afternoon following a rubbish day in college. However after the short three hours of work on that day came to an end, a smile arose from my face and it was then I knew I wanted to work with children. If all goes well with my MA course, I hope to not only get a career as a teacher but to work my way to the zenith of a practices hierarchy. Furthermore I wish to change the perceptions of male teachers within primary teaching, which I feel is a hugely female dominant career. This is a strong goal of mine because as a child going through school I always felt far more engaged by male teachers than I did by female teachers and felt I always put in an extra mile when working with my male teachers. I hope all goes well within my course, and hope me and everyone involved comes out with the results they strive for.

2 thoughts on “Why teaching?

1. Hi! I really enjoyed reading about why you want to become a teacher and how much you enjoyed working at the after school club! Totally agree with your point on male teachers! No doubt you would have made a great dinosaur..

Reply
  2. Your point about the lack of male role models in primary school is one well made. Great to see you committed to redressing the gender balance to some extent!

Reply