My computer has taken over my life!

The use of computers in the classroom is becoming increasingly more widespread. IWB are in most classrooms now as a teaching tool and computers, even iPads have been introduced for children to work on.

While I believe that the internet is a wonderful resource to find information and share ideas with other members of the teaching profession and beyond, I also believe that their use in the classroom is growing out of control. Children do enjoy using technology, as I have experienced while out on placement recently, however, there are so many other parts of the curriculum in which computers are resorted to for teaching.

Can we as a profession no longer use creativity to think up exciting lessons? Children in years to come are unlikely to remember a computer project, they will remember lessons which engaged and involved them. I am not saying that computers should be scrapped from classrooms completely, merely that they should be used in proportion.

From my time at primary school, I can only remember tasks which were active in involving and engaging me – in primary 7 we built a life size Anderson Shelter and decorated the cupboard to look like the inside of one. It taught us how cramped conditions were during air raids without even looking at a computer. Although this was quite a few years ago, and computers were only just beginning to be used in the classroom, I think the case would be the same for children in the classroom today.

Therefore, I ask the question, would modern teachers manage without computers in thinking up, finding resources for and conducting lessons? I believe they could, but how many would do it?

3 thoughts on “My computer has taken over my life!

1. Interesting argument! I feel that, In today’s increasingly technology driven society, there’s no avoiding computers, and with teachers striving to plan lessons which tap into children’s passions and interests; digital resources are bound to play a large role in the classroom.
    Ultimately though, I agree with you. I think that computers and technology are wonderful resources, but should not be the be-all and end-all of education. As an avid fan out outdoor learning and learning through nature, I believe that there is much to be said for having time away from computers, phones, tablets etc!
    If you have a moment – I’d like to hear your thoughts on the technology based learning that I blogged about: https://blogs.glowscotland.org.uk/glowblogs/uodeportfoliommackie/

Reply
  2. Hi,
    I would not like to manage without computers in the classroom. I believe that computers can be used for lessons where children are active and engaged.

Like any other resources I am sure I’ve used ICT badly, but I’m sure I’ve used other resources in poor ways too.

I am too old to have any memories of using computers when I was a pupil. My first few years teaching were technology free for the most part.

But I know that I remember many projects I’ve taught that used technology. The pupils seemed to be to be very involved in the process.

I imagine that when you were in primary 7 building an Anderson Shelter you might have created something in response. Perhaps some writing, art or drama.
    If I was teaching that session I would consider offering pupils the chance to record a podcast about their learning, or they might create radio news from the period to listen to in the shelter. Searching for audio files might be useful too:
    http://freesound.org/people/blaukreuz/sounds/160888/

Given the choice I would not want to lose the opportunity to exploit using technology for learning.

Reply
    1. Post author

Hello there,
      Thank you for your comments. I am not suggesting to totally remove computers from the classroom completely, as I do believe there are situations in which computers are useful. I simply believe that some classrooms rely on technology too much, taking the imagination away from the teacher. I have recently been out on my first year placement, where I conducted a rainforest mystery with my class. Over 6 lessons, I only used technology once, and all of the children were so engaged with the mystery and would always ask me if the detective had written back yet. It is these types of projects I would much rather have in my classroom, although I do see the use of computers alongside learning.

Reply