Inspiration, Aspiration

Although a cliché, I have wanted to become a primary teacher since I was myself at primary school. I cannot remember a day throughout those 7 years which I particularly did not like, nor any mornings where I did not have the motivation to make my way to my classroom. That motivation has stayed with me into my adolescence and sits with me today as I am enthusiastic to evoke this passion for learning within the next generation of children.

Credit for my fond memories of primary school is often due to the teachers I was taught by, many of whom have inspired my career choice. I can clearly remember my Primary 3 teacher, who gave up her lunchtime to sit with me in the dinner hall as I was an extremely fussy eater, and she would stay with me to ensure was eating adequately. At the time, this did not really seem as significant as it does now – I was only 7 – however, on reflection this was such a wonderful thing to do for a child, and has remained with me shaped the way in which I am as an individual and the way I want to teach.

Being on placement last year for merely a few hours a week proved to me that teaching was my vocation. I looked forward to those afternoons, and they were very much the highlight of my week. The children warmed to me, which made me feel comfortable and confident when taking groups, often left to teach a small group alone. That exhilarating feeling when the pupils grasp a concept, or can prove that they have learnt something during your lesson was one which I hold dear, and one which I am eager to enjoy again on my upcoming placement.

The teacher I want to be is much shaped on these experiences – a mixture of youthful experiences of primary school myself, and the experiences I have been able to enjoy and reflect upon in my later teenage years. A primary teacher is not simply someone who stands up in front of a class and teaches them how to add, read and write. Primary teachers shape the youth of today, who become the workforce of tomorrow. The classroom has evolved through history, where the teacher is no longer someone to be feared, or seen as merely a dictator. A modern teacher is active, fun and breathes life into the school day. As a teacher of the future I hope to continue to develop this more approachable style of learning and teaching, and truly make primary school a fun learning environment, where children become prepared for life in future education and beyond.