What is Reading for Gold?
Reading for Gold is our reading scheme designed to encourage pupils to read independently, use sources such as the library to develop their reading, and enhance their analysis and evaluation skills across a range of genres.
Pupils should be encouraged to select and read texts for enjoyment and interest, and express their personal response. As pupils progress through the awards in Reading for Gold they should be using their developing language skills to access more challenging texts.
Your child’s class teacher will have issued them with an appropriate booklet. Here are copies of each of the booklets:
What are the benefits of Reading for Gold?
- Creates enthusiasm for reading
- Pupils take responsibility for their reading
- Encourages independent and critical thinking
- Encourages pupils to analyse texts in different ways
- Pupils learn how to evaluate texts
Find out more by reading our Reading for Gold Guide for Parents