POETRY CRITICAL ESSAY RESOURCES
Scroll down for essay questions and lots of resources.
Write essays on “The Almond Tree” by John Stallworthy using the following questions:
- Choose a poem which you find emotionally unsettling or intellectually challenging.
Explain how the poem elicits this response from you and discuss how this contribution to your understanding of the central concern(s) of the poem.
2. Choose a poem which deals with an aspect of the less pleasant side of life.
Show how the poem increases your knowledge and understanding of the aspect of life dealt with, and how the use poetic technique contributes to the impact the poem had on you.
3. Choose a poem which encourages you to think differently or to understand something in a new way.
Discuss how the poet’s ideas and techniques led you to change your thinking or understanding.
4. Choose a poem in which the creation of mood or atmosphere is an important feature.
Show how the poet creates the mood or atmosphere, and discuss its importance in your appreciation of the poem as a whole.
5. Choose a poem in which the poet creates a vivid sense of a particular time or place.
Discuss how the poet’s vivid description of time or place adds to your appreciation of the central concerns of the poem.