Update 1

Sometimes there’s nothing better on earth than someone asking you a question.

Lisa Taddeo, Three Women

Last Friday’s recall day was really helpful in terms of providing an opportunity to have discussions about enquiry with like minded practitioners. I wouldn’t say it left me feeling focused and invigorated – I now feel like I have so many ideas and possible tasks to undertake! – but i’m choosing to view this as a positive. Moreover, I’ve found a fantastic support network in my fellow TLP participants.

The key things that were highlighted to me are:

• My enquiry will likely result in qualitative evidence that is based around change in policy and change in learners’ experiences.
  • I need to gather the views of pupils, staff and parents (i.e. all stakeholders) to gain perceptual data of the school community. I will most likely do this as an interview process and use the results as case studies. There may need to be a short survey for some qualitative data.
  • I should think of different ways of asking the same question and it may be useful to have another member of staff ask the questions so the pupils don’t just say what I would like to hear.

So far what’s working well is the evidence I have accumulated regarding pupils’ views on gender. My enquiry is very specific to the context of my school and I need to ensure I make my ‘why’ clear to others. I am also part of a working group within the City of Edinburgh Council to examine a Culturally Inclusive Curriculum and I keen to make links to this within my enquiry.

I now realise I have a lot to move forward with and all that’s left to do is be proactive! I feel motivated by being told that Education Scotland aren’t looking for ‘best’ practice, but rather ‘interesting’ practice, and this will influence my enquiry over the next few months.

6 Replies to “Update 1”

1. Thanks for this Louise. As I sit down to write my next blog, gather my thoughts and plan next steps, I found your post very helpful and made a lot of sense to me. I too feel full of ideas, possible tasks and even more questions than before!
    One thing I also took away from the recall day was a feeling of support and I was motivated by the idea that this is not all about showing off ‘best’ practice, but rather looking at my ‘interesting’ practice and how the process of enquiry is key rather than an ultimate result or success. I look forward to continuing on this journey together and see how we all grow and develop as leaders of our own learning!

2. I have a hunch that ‘interesting’ practice that you are looking out for may end up becoming an example of ‘best practice’. Best practice surely starts with an enquiry approach and a willingness to explore the unknown?

3. Hi Louise,
    A great post with equally great comments – thanks all. Glad to hear you view as a positive that the recall day left you feeling like you had more questions than ever! But the chance to talk to others away from school is always useful, I think.
    I’m really interested in the culturally inclusive curriculum work you are involved in and wonder if you are aware of the work of the Teaching in a Diverse Scotland group led by Rowena Arshad and its report for Scot Gov, or the work of SAMEE? May be of interest.

Lesley

1. Thank you for this Lesley! I have some awareness of Rowena Arshad’s work but thank you for highlighting it again as I think it would be good to look at in more depth.

4. I can absolutely relate to all of the above. I think that after our discussion and me expressing that a spiral process makes my head spin, it’s probably the most accurate representation of reality for these enquiries no matter what your focus is.
    My advice would be this… write down two bitesize things that you definitely want to achieve each week and just do them. This is what I’ve begun to do and even if that includes writing the questionnaire for the pupils but waiting until the next week to actually hand it out, it’s still a step completed. Easier said than done of course!