Digital Technology- Week two

Today was my second week in digital technology. After an introduction to the module last week this week was when the work began. Today we were introduced to programable toys, in particular bee-bots. This is something which I have never came across before coming to university. As the bee-bot can be used effectively in teaching from early years up until secondary I was eager to experiment and come to terms with the programable toy myself.
We arranged ourselves into small groups before planning our own creative activity with the bee-bot. My group decided on a super market theme. We felt this was useful for the counting and handling of money as well as how money it used. After completing our bee-bot mat we recognised we cooperated three different outcomes from curriculum for excellence. Each outcome being TCH 0-09a, MNU 0-09a and MTH 0-17a. Due to the large quantity of outcomes throughout the levels teachers are under pressure to complete them all. I feel personally bee-bots benefit this as they allow an opportunity to cover more than one outcome at a time.
Personally, I feel programmable toys teach children in school’s important life skills, for example how to be independent. After reading ‘Sharing Good Practice’ I noticed this was a theory made by others, ”All children learnt how to use Bee-Bot about as quickly as I expected, but they gained independence faster than I anticipated. Twelve children out of the 28 were able to use the Bee-Bot without any adult help after the initial instructions.” (Lydon, 2008, Pg. 2) Now I have experienced bee-bot first hand I am aware that it’s a light weight toy with very clear buttons on the top for directions. This makes the toy accessible and easy for the children to work, which improves independence.
As my group decided to produce a mat which explores the mathematical outcomes I am aware the bee-bot can be altered and created to cover certain literacy outcomes. ‘Floor Robots-focus on Literacy and numeracy (primary)’ Article gave me a range of ideas for the future. I like the idea of reading a book which includes journeys and getting the children to create a bee-bots mat which relates to the story. (National Centre for Technology in Education, 2012, Pg. 1).
After today’s lecture I am knowledgeable about programable toys and understand how to use them. I am also aware of the benefits programable toys have in a classroom environment. Now that I am enlightened and have created a bee-bot mat myself this is something I will take forward and put into practice in my teaching career.

Reference List:

ICTopus Article (2008) Sharing Good Practice: Robots in Early Education by Alison Lydon.
[Online]
https://oponoa- programmeertalen.wikispaces.com/file/view/BeeBot_article.pdf
[Accessed: 16th January 2018]

NCTE (National centre for Technology in Education) (2012) NCTE Floor Robots – Focus on Literacy & Numeracy.
[Online]
http://www.ncte.ie/media/NCTE_Floor_robots_focus_on_literacy_numeracy_primary_12-06.pdf
[Accessed: 16th January 2018]

Curriculum for Excellence (2004) Experiences and Outcomes
[Online]
Available at: https://education.gov.scot/Documents/all-experiences-and-outcomes.pdf
[Accessed: 16th January 2018]