Digital Technology Week 9

This week in digital technology we were set to explore game-based learning. Unfortunately, due to the weather I was unable to attend this lesson. Despite this I spent the day looking through the PowerPoint and engaged with the learning. We were to explore the game console, Nintendo Wii. This is a console I am particularly familiar with as I have one of my own and enjoyed playing it often. The main focus was Mario kart. We were to explore this game and discuss how we could use it across the curriculum.

Firstly, we were to create a mind map stating why we felt game-based learning was effective. Personally, I feel using games as a stimulus in the classroom the children become more involved. They are interested in the learning as they find it a fun way to learn. This keeps children engaged. It is stated that “Digital Games-based Learning is the integration of gaming into learning experiences to increase engagement and motivation.” (Higher Education Academy website). Furthermore, this is something the children will interact with when at home which will make them confident in their own learning.

The second task was to arrange ourselves into small groups and make a mind map including how the game Mario Kart can be used in different subjects. As I did not attend this class I came up with some on my own. For example, this could be used as a tool in art and design. The children could play the game firstly to stimulate them. They could then get into small groups and make their own life size Kart. This would use many different skills. The children would have to be creative but also use maths in order to measure the Kart to size. Furthermore, Mario Kart can be used in literacy. The game can be used as a stimulus to firstly engage the children as well as bring out their creative side. Once they’ve played the game they can create their own race scene. They will have to create and describe the setting, the crowd and their own character.

Experience’s and outcomes:
I have the opportunity to choose and explore an extended range of media and technologies to create images and objects, comparing and combining them for specific tasks. EXA 2-02a
I can explore and experiment with digital technologies and can use what I learn to support and enhance my learning in different contexts. TCH 1-01a
I enjoy exploring events and characters in stories and other texts and I use what I learn to invent my own, sharing these with others in imaginative ways. LIT 0-09b / LIT 0-31a

Game based learning creates many benefits as well as challenges. Teachers skills and confidence could be a challenge when introducing gaming into the learning. Identifying a suitable game for the children for example the age of the game and appropriate parts which can be used to then help the learning. Lastly money and resources could be a challenge when introducing gaming into the learning. (Learning and Teaching Scotland)
Overall, this blog post challenged me as I was not at the class. However, after doing some research myself and engaging with the PowerPoint I feel I would be confident using gaming as a stimulus in the classroom. I also am aware of how much this could benefit the learner of younger students and look forward to using it in the future.

Curriculum for Excellence (2004) Experiences and Outcomes
[Online]
Available at: https://education.gov.scot/Documents/all-experiences-and-outcomes.pdf
[ Accessed 8th April 2018]

Higher Education Academy. (2017) Gamification and Games-Based Learning. [Module Resource] Available: https://www.heacademy.ac.uk/knowledge-hub/gamification-and-games-based-learning
[ Accessed 8th April 2018]

Learning and Teaching Scotland. (2010) The impact of console games in the classroom: [Online] Available: https://www.nfer.ac.uk/publications/FUTL25/
[Accessed 8th April 2018]