Digital Technology Week 4

Today, week four of digital technology we got to learn and explore the coding program Scratch Jrn. Scratch Jrn is one of the few coding programs I was familiar with before today as it is a tool which I used at secondary school. However, I still had a lot of learning to do despite this knowledge beforehand.
Scratch Jrn is a starting point and more an introductory coding program where children aged around five and onwards can design their own creative stories and games. Scratch Jrn can be beneficial to a child’s learning in several ways. It teaches children how to ”write computer programs” and not only this but ”They are learning to think creatively, reason systematically, and work collaboratively – essential skills for success and happiness in today’s world.” (The Leads Project 2014) Scratch is important for the younger children of this generation as it is setting them up with life skills needed in the 21st Century. Scratch is an interactive program which allows children to socialise creating discussion and is an example of ”hands on learning” (Prandstatter, 2014)
Today we used Scratch Jrn to design a story which would aid a literacy lesson in the classroom. However, Scratch does not only aid Literacy lessons but can be used to ”aid teachers in subjects like mathematics, English, music, art, design and information technology.” (The Leads Project 2014) Today we were working individually to create our own stories on Scratch Jrn as part of our assessment. I chose to create a story about a young boy who had a dream he went to the moon. The reason behind making this story for a lesson was children could then carry on the story to what they felt happened next. The first part of the story gets their imagination going before they go to create the ending independently. When creating my story I learned how to use almost all the tools on Scratch Jrn. I was able to add backgrounds and spirits. I then went on to make each spirit move, speak to one another, Have things come in order and add sound to the short story. I was impressed with myself by how quickly I understood and learned how to work the program.
Once I completed my story on Scratch. I began to think about the experiences and outcomes that would relate to a lesson of this style. I felt the most appropriate experience and outcomes were ”I explore and experiment with the features and functions of computer technology and I can use what I learn to support and enhance my learning in different contexts. ” (Tch 1-04a Tch2-04a)
” I can create, capture and manipulate sounds, text and images to communicate experiences, ideas and information in creative and engaging ways.” (TCH 1-04b TCH 2-04b)
Overall after today’s session I feel so much more confident and at ease with the coding program Scratch Jrn. I feel like it is something that will benefit me as a teacher and the children in the classroom. I really enjoyed experimenting with this tool and think children would have a lot of fun exploring it in a variety of ways to enhance many skills. Lastly, I find it interesting that there are so many ways to incorporate technology into lessons which will aid many other subjects.

Some pictures from my story:

Beauchamp, G. (2012) ICT in the Primary School: From Pedagogy to Practice. Pearson.

Curriculum for Excellence (2004) Experiences and Outcomes
[Online]
Available at: https://education.gov.scot/Documents/all-experiences-and-outcomes.pdf
[Accessed: 30th January 2018]

Prandstatter, J. (2014). Interactive Displays in Early Years Classes.
[Blog: Online]. Available: http://connectlearningtoday.com/interactive-displays-early-years-classes/
[Accessed on 24th of January 2018]