Digital Technology Week 5

E-books along with book creator were the main element of today’s lesson. E-books are known as electronic books. They are exactly like a printed book but on technology. The Oxford Dictionary describes E-books as “An electronic version of a printed book which can be read on a computer or a specifically designed handheld device.” However, I feel they can be more than this. E-books can include audio, visuals and animations making a simple text into a multimodal text. Book creator is a program/app that allows us to create our own electronic books.
For our first task we arranged ourselves into groups and created a mind map including what knowledge we had about E-books and the benefits we felt E-books offers. We then had twenty-five minutes to make a sample E-book using Book Creator. We were to make a brochure about UWS the Ayr campus. We took multiple pictures and videos of the things we felt were an attraction to students then assembled them together to make the final brochure. This task allowed us to become familiar with the app Book Creator and the tools it offered.

Once the first task was completed we then had to create an individual E-book on book creator as part of our assessment. I chose to base my E-Book on the Roald Dahl book The Witches. We could go one of two ways when creating our electronic books. I decided to make mines an activity book where the children would have to engage and interact in order to complete each of the activities on The Witches that were given. I came up with a total of four jobs/activities to incorporate on each page. Job one included creating a mind map on the characters, the key points of the book and any similarities they noticed in this book with other books they have read. Job two included choosing their favourite character and writing a short paragraph which would include what their role in the book was and why they were their favourite character. Job three was a contusion of job two and the final job included them using their imagination to create a short paragraph to what they felt happened next.

This activity could relate to both literacy outcomes and experiences as well as technology. This is a benefit for teachers as it allows them to complete more than one experience and outcome with only one activity.
Related Experience’s and Outcomes:
”As I listen or watch, I can identify and discuss the purpose, key words and main ideas of the text, and use this information for a specific purpose.” LIT 1-04a
”I can explore and experiment with digital technologies and can use what I learn to support and enhance my learning in different contexts.” TCH 1-01a

After completing my own E-Book, I viewed them in a different way. I always thought E-Books where just books in electronic forms, However I could not be more wrong. I was surprised with how much you could do on Book Creator from adding images to voice recordings. I think it is important for children to experience literacy in different ways in order to be creative. Beauchamp suggests “Pupils need to be equipped to view language as a ‘metamode’ that enables them to access the meanings of a wide variety of texts, images, sounds and information….” (Beauchamp, 2012, p.81)

Overall, I feel Book Creator and E-Books are both beneficial tools I could use multiple times in a classroom environment.

Beauchamp, G. (2012) ICT in the Primary School: From Pedagogy to Practice. Pearson.

Oxford Dictionary (2018) – E-Book Definition[Online] https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/us/e-book Author: Oxford University

[Accessed 8th February 2018]

Curriculum for Excellence (2004) Experiences and Outcomes
[Online]
Available at: https://education.gov.scot/Documents/all-experiences-and-outcomes.pdf

[Accessed 11th February 2018]

Digital Technology Week 4

Today, week four of digital technology we got to learn and explore the coding program Scratch Jrn. Scratch Jrn is one of the few coding programs I was familiar with before today as it is a tool which I used at secondary school. However, I still had a lot of learning to do despite this knowledge beforehand.
Scratch Jrn is a starting point and more an introductory coding program where children aged around five and onwards can design their own creative stories and games. Scratch Jrn can be beneficial to a child’s learning in several ways. It teaches children how to ”write computer programs” and not only this but ”They are learning to think creatively, reason systematically, and work collaboratively – essential skills for success and happiness in today’s world.” (The Leads Project 2014) Scratch is important for the younger children of this generation as it is setting them up with life skills needed in the 21st Century. Scratch is an interactive program which allows children to socialise creating discussion and is an example of ”hands on learning” (Prandstatter, 2014)
Today we used Scratch Jrn to design a story which would aid a literacy lesson in the classroom. However, Scratch does not only aid Literacy lessons but can be used to ”aid teachers in subjects like mathematics, English, music, art, design and information technology.” (The Leads Project 2014) Today we were working individually to create our own stories on Scratch Jrn as part of our assessment. I chose to create a story about a young boy who had a dream he went to the moon. The reason behind making this story for a lesson was children could then carry on the story to what they felt happened next. The first part of the story gets their imagination going before they go to create the ending independently. When creating my story I learned how to use almost all the tools on Scratch Jrn. I was able to add backgrounds and spirits. I then went on to make each spirit move, speak to one another, Have things come in order and add sound to the short story. I was impressed with myself by how quickly I understood and learned how to work the program.
Once I completed my story on Scratch. I began to think about the experiences and outcomes that would relate to a lesson of this style. I felt the most appropriate experience and outcomes were ”I explore and experiment with the features and functions of computer technology and I can use what I learn to support and enhance my learning in different contexts. ” (Tch 1-04a Tch2-04a)
” I can create, capture and manipulate sounds, text and images to communicate experiences, ideas and information in creative and engaging ways.” (TCH 1-04b TCH 2-04b)
Overall after today’s session I feel so much more confident and at ease with the coding program Scratch Jrn. I feel like it is something that will benefit me as a teacher and the children in the classroom. I really enjoyed experimenting with this tool and think children would have a lot of fun exploring it in a variety of ways to enhance many skills. Lastly, I find it interesting that there are so many ways to incorporate technology into lessons which will aid many other subjects.

Some pictures from my story:

[Online]
[Accessed: 30th January 2018]

Prandstatter, J. (2014). Interactive Displays in Early Years Classes.
[Blog: Online]. Available: http://connectlearningtoday.com/interactive-displays-early-years-classes/
[Accessed on 24th of January 2018]

Digital Technology Week 3

During Digital Technology this week we were exploring multimodal texts. Multimodal text is something which I have heard of before today however the program we were using to create our own multimodal text (activinspire) is something which was new to me.
Throughout the lecture/tutorial we firstly discussed the semiotic systems. There are five semiotic systems all together; Linguistic, Visual, Audio, Gestural and spatial. In order to create a multimodal text, it has to include two or more of the semiotic systems.
Multimodal has many benefits to its use. As technology vastly improves presenting something that has multimodality allows new and creative ways to teach. This also allows us as teachers to ”present an idea in a variety of different ways to help the pupils understand it.” (Beauchamp, 2012, pg.8) Children don’t often learn the same way as their peers so using multimodality presentations when appropriate it covers all or most of the children needs to provide a fuller understand of the information we are teaching.
For the last hour or so of our tutorial today we were given the opportunity to familiarise ourselves with the program Activinspire and were able to create our own mini lesson. In my group we decided to make the theme about animals. Each different slide had its own environment as the background to give the children a clue as to the animal that would be revelled at the end. However, this was a mini lesson on the children’s spelling. We chose an animal for each page. We wrote the word at the top and took away various letters. There was a letter bank at the bottom of the page which included the missing letters as well as a few random letters. The children can then come out and chose the missing letters of the word to finally spell out the animal names.
After exploring Activinspire myself and expanding my own knowledge on the program I was surprised by how interactive this toll could be in a classroom environment. Avtivinspire would allow all children to get involved hands on and form discussions about their learning. “Touch displays can become a social learning tool encouraging hands-on experiences, thereby helping children to learn by doing.” (Pranstatter, 2014.) From my own experience I think it is important to be able to do the learning rather than just be told. It makes the information make more sense and becomes easier to fully understand.

Overall I am looking forward to explore this tool in further depth and use my knowledge when in the classroom.

[Accessed on 24th of January 2018]