Reflection On My School Experience

My first ever placement is over and done with already. Two quick weeks have passed. I can remember the night before starting feeling over whelmed with nerves and excitement. Looking back I should have never been so nervous as I was completely comfortable and relaxed in the school, it just felt right.
Strength
Throughout my experience I feel my biggest strength was my verbal communication in particular my enthusiasm around the younger children. I have always grown up around small children so communicating with them just felt natural to me. I was able to use my enthusiasm to engage all the children and keep them interested and upbeat. I felt more comfortable with the younger school as they kept me feeling energetic and I feel I could communicate with them better.
Area of Most Progress
During my time at placement I took on all my peer and teacher feedback each day and would try and improve for the next. I feel that I made progress on communicating with all the wider individuals that make up the school. Each day I would make an extra effort to speak and communicate with most individuals. This made me feel more at ease and more accepted in the school environment as a professional.
Area Requiring Progress
Looking back at my time on placement and taking on all the feedback an area I feel needs work is being able to grab the attention of a large group in the upper school (primary6/7). Using both verbal and oral communication I find it difficult to make everyone in the room listen to me. I feel as I was still a student I wasn’t fully in control therefore wasn’t able to raise my voice and use different aspects of communication to make everyone focus briskly. I feel uncomfortable raising my voice and changing my pitch to seem in charge so the children will listen.
Action Plan
Taking all my feedback and own reflections on things on board I will make an action plane to improve this for next time. I will practice varying the pitch of my voice and raising my voice higher than normal so everyone is able to hear me. I might also find a method use for next time for example hands up and everyone stops and copies to engage and focus a larger group.
Overall placement was a positive experience. I learned a lot and was made aware on things I will need to improve for next time. Now it’s time to stress as the endless assignments and presentations are coming up!

One thought on “Reflection On My School Experience”