Disasters PDP

Recently we received an input detailing disasters. It covered the different types of disasters, how countries are affected by them and why they happen. The different types of disasters ranged from tsunamis to earthquakes with a micro-teaching task that assigned a disaster topic to groups who then would present on the information they gathered on that topic. My group were assigned typhoons which I covered the impact section of in our presentation. Our presentation I felt went very well as our quiz at the end most people answered 5/6 or 6/6 showing their clear attention to what we were saying. My colleagues section on how the typhoon called Haiyan moved across the country in a weatherman like fashion was particularly impressive. The other groups presented on the different disasters which were interesting with some groups focusing more on how the could be applied to teaching.
We also received a workshop that allowed us to perform multiple experiments. One of these experiments included hitting rocks in order to discover what type of rock it was. Another involved creating our own volcano which functioned when we added the correct chemicals. We also were able to see how air flow works in our atmosphere by using warm and cold water that were dyed red and blue respectively. We then submerged them both in a tub of water and watched as the blue liquid sank to the bottom whilst the red liquid rose to the top.