Den Building – Reflections

Group and Leadership:

There were no group leaders assigned to groups for this particular project. Nobody seemed to take a leadership role themselves, and all group members added their own ideas for the task. This was effective because it ensured that everybody had opportunities to communicate ideas.
Once the foundations were laid down for the task, everybody split up to look for appropriate branches. Everybody had a part to play in building up the three walls for the den, therefore, nobody was excluded from the project. The challenge I personally faced was not being able to reach some branches due to how high they were. Luckily, I was able to stand on a broken branch which allowed me to reach what I needed.

Explaining:

Because we were outside, we had to ensure that everybody was around and listening when discussing and sharing ideas on how to complete the task. It was different from communication within the classroom because space was more open. This provided an opportunity to walk around and show the different elements to the den, as well as allowing us to demonstrate to the other groups how the results were achieved.

Environment:

The area in which my group and I were working was quite quiet. We were at quite a distance from the other groups because we were working in the trees, using them as a base for our den. In addition to this, we weren’t able to hear the wind or rain much as the noises were mainly blocked by the trees. As a result, environmental noises did not seem to pose much of a problem for my team (in my opinion).

Negotiation:

• We were unsuccessful in trying to negotiate with other groups to gain materials. This was because the teams had already used their equipment and planned to use the equipment that they had remaining.