Personal audit & transferable skills

Activity 1

1. Below are a list of skills and abilities. Complete an audit of where you are now. Record this in your learning journal/portfolio.

Rate yourself (1=Not very well developed; 3=very well developed)

Skills and Abilities

1

2

3

Share Opinions Confidently  X
 Converse Confidently  X
Be creative  X
 Organise and Plan  X
Act as a leader  X
Computer Skills  X
 Take notes  X

Although it is important to identify where we are now, it is not enough to stop there. We need to reflect upon how we can develop the skills where we are less confident and how we can transfer the skills in which we are confident and competent.

Activity 2

Complete the audit below, using the information from the table above.

Recognition Reflection Action
Skills already developed How will I use these How do I know (evidence)**
 SHARE OPINIONS CONFIDENTLY  -In class when asked to contribute in discussions on points raised in the lecture.-When commenting on my peer’s blogs on their e-portfolio’s as I wont be afraid to give my opinion even if it is conflicting. However, I must do so in such a way that I don’t offend the other person and respect that they have a different opinion than me.  – In a psychology lecture where we were discussing the ‘Nature vs Nurture’ debate we were encouraged to turn around to the row behind in order to discuss our views. In doing this we were able to openly voice our opinions with one another and also in turn got to hear different views on the subject and why they thought this.
 CONVERSE CONFIDENTLY – To socialise with my peers in tasks when advised in order to help each other through the work set.-To enable me to make friendships with people in my course by having the ability to approach them in order the make conversation  -When participating in tutorials by conversing confidently I am able to complete the tasks set efficiently and contribute to the group discussion such as when we had our workshop on ‘the standards for registration’.
 BE CREATIVE – To make wall displays exciting to the eye in order to make people interested in the work you are displaying.- To enable me to document my notes in more interesting ways, such as by using mind maps and colour, which will help me to study better when it comes to assessments.  -I am a class representative and we were given the task of designing the Education information board. By doing this I was able to show my creative side. We updated the board through the use of boarders and by adding glitter to the dividers which separate all the different year’s information.
 ORGANISE AND PLAN – To organise myself efficiently in order to get myself to lectures on time.-By planning ahead I will be able to be more prepared for tasks and lessons and so be ready for the task/lesson ahead.  -To keep myself organised I store all my notes for the different modules in separate areas so that I clearly know where everything is. By keeping my notebook organised this will help me when it comes to assignments.
 ACT AS A LEADER  -To lead a team efficiently to reach their goals- Be a leader who inspires confidence in her team and so helps her team to be at ease with the task being carried out  -An example of when I acted as a leader was when I took charge during a section of the QR hunt. I helped lead my group to the next section and in doing so I believe I demonstrated the key attributes that are essential to being a leader such as being a good listener; being respectful to my fellow team mates and being able to pick out my team members key strengths in order to get the task done efficiently and to a high standard.
 TAKE NOTES  -When recording information from lecturers so that I have substantial notes to look back over for when it comes to revising for assessments.- If there is important points being made at a class representative board meeting I can take notes to then be able to relate it back to my peers effectively  -I take notes every lecture on either my laptop or notepad. I try to take as detailed noted as possible in the time given in order to give myself adequate resources when it comes to looking back over what it is I’ve learnt in the lecture/tutorial/workshop.