Its a science thing…

For our first science input we had been asked to prepare a short science demonstration to share among our peers. Personally, I had not studied science since I had been in 2nd year, so the thought of this task made me slightly anxious. After researching ideas for topics for science projects, that could be done within the classroom, I realised there were LOADS of ideas that could easily be done, and explained, without a major background in science. I decided that I was going to make a lava lamp to show my group, as it demonstrated how different chemical compounds don’t mix- i.e. water and oil. The water and oil don’t mix ,and naturally separate from one another, due to water having a higher density to the oil. This also allowed me to make a simple, yet fun experiment, which would be possible to be recreated within the classroom. To demonstrate this process I constructed a poster which also displayed to process of an actual lava lamp and how the heat source causes the wax to rise and then as it cools the wax falls only for the process to start again.

LavalampPoster

Overall, I was pleasantly surprised about this task. It allowed me to see that although I didn’t know much about science as a topic I was able to find enjoyment while doing this. It has also made me want to bring these tasks into the classroom on placement and share this excitement with the children working with.