SITUATED COMMUNICATION – INDEPENDENT READING TASK

I think the aim of this chapter was to make us aware how important questions really are, especially relating to communication and the way we learn. We may not realise it but questioning plays a big role in our daily lives, we use questions everyday!

Questioning is a skill that we learn from a very young age and continues to develop as we get older. Children ask questions a lot as a way of consolidation when learning new things. The chapter stressed that parents or guardians should listen to their child as best they can when they are asking questions as it will help the child develop their questioning skills to the best of their ability.

It was also suggested that it is important for a child to be comfortable with their surroundings as they will be more likely to ask questions, which will result in a better education and therefore a better future. Stress was a key theme touched on in this article as if a child is anxious or uneasy in class they wont ask questions possibly because they are embarrassed. I support this view as through my early years at high school I was scared to speak out in class and therefore feel that I have missed out in learning opportunities.

Overall, the main argument presented was that ‘Asking questions is a fundamental part of communication’. I support this argument and believe that without questions communication would be very difficult and our lives would be so much different.

Reference list:

‘Finding out about others: the skill of questioning’, in Hargie, O. (2011) Skilled Interpersonal Communication: Research, Theory and Practice. 5th ed. London: Routledge.

One thought on “SITUATED COMMUNICATION – INDEPENDENT READING TASK”