Tag Archives: literacy

Balbardie PS: Engaging with the local authority strategic approach

Learners with devices
Strategic plan to help enable devices to impact on learning

Balbardie PS is in Bathgate in West Lothian. The school has recently engaged with the central team at West Lothian Council to get their anywhere, anytime learning (AAL) channel switched on for learners.

Greg Welsh (headteacher) gives an overview of the supported network for school-provided devices and the AAL channel that pupil-owned devices can access in West Lothian schools. He talks about how he is managing a range of devices in school and how they are preparing the ground that will allow learners to bring their own devices in to school.

Balbardie PS: Greg Welsh HT – overview Mr Welsh (HT) gives an overview of pilot as Balbardie PS

Mr Welsh shared his experience of engaging with the central West Lothian team to prepare for his school’s AAL channel to be activated. This involved preparing a plan that indicated key timescales, key stakeholders, staff capability and support, parental engagement and, most importantly, how the introduction of the technology would impact on learning across the school. He described this process as a rigorous one but one that was fundamental to the school’s strategic approach to planning for better outcomes for learners.

Balbardie PS: Engaging with the Local Authority strategy Mr Welsh (HT) discusses the process for engaging with the Local Authority strategy at West Lothian

As a result of working with the central West Lothian team to prepare their learning strategy for their AAL channel Balbardie PS decided that there would be a focus on literacy and numeracy as well as encouraging a culture of independent learning with devices. Mr Welsh wanted to ensure that the learners at his school would be capable of making informed choices about what to use and when to use it to support their learning.

Balbardie PS: Vision for the AAL channel Mr Welsh (HT) discusses his vision for the AAL Channel at Balbardie PS

Forrester HS: The learner perspective

Forrester HS: Learners with Android devices
What do learners think about the learning with devices?

We spoke with some of the S1 pupils about their experiences of the Android device pilot at Forrester HS. They were generally excited and positive about having access to a tablet device all the time in school and at home.  They talked about how everything was now much easier with the device! When asked to elaborate on this they talked about how it had enhanced the way they now edited their writing and how good it was to access tools that enabled them to respond differently to tasks rather than solely using pencil and paper. They talked about how some teachers are using Edmodo to help support homework and WordPress for blogging and about  how they were able to access and download resources such as worksheets. The fact that there was instant access to their device and to the information they were seeking was much much better than having to wait to get their booked slot at the ICT suite. Finally, some of the learners talked about the fact that they come from a world where technology is part of their everyday experience and to have it in school was very appealing. They agreed that these initiatives, such as the Android device pilot, were about helping to develop an appropriate learning culture that met their needs.

First interview with learners from Forrester HS:

Forrester HS: pupil interview 1 Interview 1 with learners from Forrester HS

Second interview with learners from Forrester HS:

Forrester HS: pupil interview 2 Interview 2 with learners from Forrester HS

Sciennes PS: The learner perspective

Sciennes PS: The Learner's perspective
Learners talk enthusiastically about learning with the iPad

Some of the pupils from Sciennes PS talked with us about how helpful some of the apps that they use to support their learning are. They gave examples of how they have helped them with timestables and spelling. In many cases they choose to use these apps in their own time in order to make progress with their learning. One child commented:

…I can’t even imagine school without iPads now. It’s so helpful in every day….I used to really hate maths before the iPads but once we started using them and apps like Cloud Tables it’s helped me with maths and now I enjoy maths. I never used to be good at my time tables but within one week of using this I knew my times tables up to the 10x table.

Sciennes PS: Kids learning with apps

Some of the pupils from Sciennes PS talked about how having access to a device had improved their productivity in writing. Instant access to editing tools makes writing so much more enjoyable and is making them ‘want to do their school work’ now.

When I used to write on paper I would write maybe 100 hundred words, but now I am writing 1000 words, and my writing’s really improved because I’m writing more, I’m writing at home and before I was more reluctant to edit it because you have to rub it all out and it just makes a mess but with this it takes two seconds and you’ve got a very good piece of work.

Sciennes PS: Learners discuss story writing Learners discuss story writing with the iPad

The discussion continued and the size of the impact on learner perceptions that this device pilot was having became increasingly apparent. When learners were asked if they thought the pilot had been beneficial one response was:

Oh yes, it has completely changed my life at school, and at home too, because I feel that although I already had an iPad at home I just really played games and stuff but now I use it for… I’m actually wanting to finish off my school work and wanting to do more school work.

To bring the discussion with the pupils to a conclusion we asked them what having their own connected device meant for them as learners and what
they would say to adults who may be of the opinion that devices such as those might be getting in the way of learning. They talked quite openly about how they believed the device has helped them learn and how access to technology such as devices should be part of modern teaching strategies in schools. Comments included:

I’d say with it improving our maths and storywriting and stuff they should think maybe that it’s really helping us and that we should keep it.

and

If people think that we should still be writing on slates and that school should be the same [as it was] then we wouldn’t have learned as much as we have. Technology and modern teaching strategies help us to learn every day and I think that if any adults who are a bit sceptical would come in to the classroom and see how much it helps us on a daily basis.

Sciennes PS: Why have a device? Learners discuss the benefits of having a device