Lauryn's Reflective Journal Digital Technologies

Week 11 – Reflection

As we have come to the end of Digital technologies, I can confidently say this module has been very interesting. Over the last 12 week it has become very apparent how important it is to teach digital technologies in a classroom. Our society is moving on and children need to be equipped with the tools for later life and this now includes technology. I have learned many new, exciting and engaging ways to use different technologies that will become extremely useful in years to come. I can now also link my activities involving technology to experiences and outcomes and I can see the relevance of each task and how it can be worked into a school day. I was able to produce activities focusing on all the curricular areas including maths and literacy.

I believe from this module I have been able to improve on many skills. Most weeks we worked in groups, so I was able to improve on my communications skills. I am now able to take these skills and apply them elsewhere. I feel much more confident in technology and would now class myself as a digital native.

In my very first blog I mentioned how the Scottish Government would like technology to be at the heart of learning (Scottish Government, 2015). I now completely agree with this. For many children technology is the only way they can receive good quality learning. It has so many benefits as I have discussed from the very start, which show how important technology really is to our society. On one hand, technology is seen as negative and to be taking over our society, however, I firmly believe that in primary school if technology is not abused and is used in the ways that we have learnt over the course of this module then it can be a really successful learning tool.

In conclusion, I would now class myself as being confident in the use of technologies and from this module I have been able to improve on my skills, not only on technology but on verbal and nonverbal communication from working alongside others. Overall, I have enjoyed digital technologies and I cannot wait to use some of the skills and experiences I have learnt on this module in a classroom.

Scottish Government (2015) Literature review on the impact of digital technology on learning and teaching. [Online] Available: http://dera.ioe.ac.uk/24843/2/00489303.pdf [Accessed 19 February 2019]