Feedback

The term “feedback” means helpful information which is used in ways to either praise or criticize your work. It is important in order to motivate you to continue, and in some instances, try harder. It is also useful is instances of criticism to get someone else’s view (through constructive criticism), to help you identify which areas to improve and how to do so.

fbThe feedback I received was very positive and I took it to be a positive experience. It gave me confidence that what I am doing is right, and that others can relate to it and agree with my thoughts. It was carefully constructed and I could tell the person had taken their time to read my post and really think about it, which is great to think. I agree fully with the feedback I was given, I took my time to ensure I covered all areas of the success criteria, so they fact they picked up on this is very beneficial to my confidence. However so far at this moment in time I have not been picked up on any areas for improvement. I am sure there are many, and I can understand it is not a nice experience to criticise your peers and therefore very easy to accidently avoid doing so…

Initially I felt great giving peer feedback as I know it is a great confidence boost to hear positive things about your work. As I went on though, I began to realise that where my feedback will be making people feel good, it isn’t highlighting to them any areas for them to improve. i then began delving deeper into people’s posts to try and word things in the nicest way possible which made the situation much easier. Most people however had such fantastic posts I was literally sitting with what I would compare to writer’s block!

From carrying out this task I have learned that whilst it is important to highlight where people are going well, it is of equal importance to give constructive criticism. I have also learned it is very hard to tell your peers of the criticisms you have picked up on. This will be applicable further into my studies when I begin working closer with my peers. When it comes to reading over their work, I will definitely consider what I have learned from this when giving them pointers!

This is also relevant to the classroom. Children do not want to be bombarded with corrections s s was it is likely to defeat them and cause them to lose all hope with their learning. As a pupil at primary, my teachers always used “two stars and a wish” on my word. This is an effective strategy of peer feedback which ensures both praise is given and constructive criticism. There are also other methods similar to this that I was unaware of. One which struck me to be very interesting is “plus, minus, and what is next?”, involving a praise, a criticism, and a pointer of what to do to improve further. There are so many strategies for feedback it is amazing the amount of different ways you can give it.

Overall I find feedback a seriously effective strategy. I feel it is important to give praise in order to motivate pupils, but it is also important to give constructive criticism. Without giving someone a pointer of how to improve, what is the point of the initial feedback in the first place? (Obviously apart from the obvious motivational purposes.) Everyone wants to know how to improve in one way or another.

A little more insight into feedback in the classroom…

4 thoughts on “Feedback

1. From reading your post its clear to understand what an enquiring practitioner is as you’ve included lots of different examples and it is structured really well.
    I like that you’ve not only included the benefits and challenges but also included real life examples of these in the classroom.

I believe that the way this post is structure e.g – the inclusion of photos and examples which can be related to in the classroom strengthens this post.

To improve this post I would only change the title and keep up the good work, well done! 😀

Reply
    1. Post author

Thank you so much Kirsten! I’ll definitely take that into consideration – might go and do so right now! Thanks 🙂

Reply
  2. I was like you, bit nervous about leaving criticism… constructive of course! But now I’ve had some feedback and given some I feel a lot more able. Although sometimes it’s true that you just agree with what’s being said. It’s all about the content and how engaging it is. Your posts are always full of media that backs up what you’re saying and also keeps the reader engaged. Love it!

Reply
    1. Post author

Yes, it’s very daunting at first! Like you I am definitely getting the hang of it now though. Thank you so much!

Reply