Kate Sanderson UWS Blog

First Placement Day

On my first day of placement, I was put into a P3 class with varying levels of ability.  The helpful class teacher and I reviewed the documentation I need to complete and established a plan to enable me to complete the tasks whilst observing, learning and taking part in lessons when appropriate.  In the numeracy lesson, it was good to see what we have been learning at University put into practice, and today it was word problem solving which was a coincidence as we only had a lecture on this this week.  It really helped me seeing what strategies she was using so that all the children understood using ‘our skills’.  The children were asked to create their own word problems for their peers to complete at the next lesson.  In Literacy, the lesson was on poetry writing and the teacher reinforced previous learning in terms of structure, theme of the poem and the features the children should use.  The class wrote some wonderful poems with great use of alliteration and similes and rhyming.  The class were taken outside for ‘muddy movers’ which involved construction of something they had to go over, go under and balance on with the crates and wooden planks available.  Great team building took place with a lot of chatter and exchanging of ideas, there were also lots of muddy knees and hands by the end too! I’m really looking forward to returning next week.