Integrated Arts in Education Week 6 – 16/10/18

Being creative across the curriculum was our focus this morning, we were discussing various documents that provide a back up, reassurance and that it is ok to be creative. In the afternoon we had our first drama class and later we created prints in the art studio, with objects other than paint brushes.

I feel confident on knowing that the HMIe approve and encourage creativity in schools. Previous to knowing this, I can see how I may have been nervous in regards to putting my ideas forward in an educational environment that may well shy away from creativity in the arts.

With the prospect of performing in drama today I can empathise with others and young children that also might feel this way.  An interested thing the my lecturer said ‘that its ok just to be there and take part, moving and talking is not compulsory.  This advice will help me in the future when dealing with pupils in class who are simply too shy or nervous to play the part in an acting roll.

‘collaboration is not necessarily an essential part of the creative process, and there are many examples throughout history, particularly in the arts, of creativity as a successful and individual pursuit.’ (Education Scotland, 2013, p.5).

When we were printing in class today, the thought of using my hands in the ink was slightly off putting as I imagine the cleaning up process. However, once I got started I was caught up in the creativity of it all that I forgot about the ink all over my hands.

Looking back at this activity I know children would really enjoy it.  Children love to experiment with materials and get their hands all dirty, by allowing children to touch the ink creates a sensory activity and takes away any barrier such as anxiety that a paint brush may cause.  The children are now closer to the materials and those who think that they can’t, can now see that they can.

Moving forward I feeling that using anything other than a paintbrush will create a mess and result in everything being everywhere, this is my own anxiety. My aim to overcome this is to get involved in the clean up as much as possible when I am in class and out on school placement.  When we were working with the lego in ink during class, I couldn’t help think of the time needed to clean and wash everything.

Education Scotland. (2013) Creativity across learning 3-18. [Online] Available: https://education.gov.scot/improvement/Documents/cre39-impact-report.pdf [Accessed: 28 October 2018].