RELIGION, SOCIETY AND DIVERSITY 2 – Unchurched Spirituality

We learned about more aspects of religion and focused on ‘unchurched’ spirituality. Before the lecture, I had never heard of the term ‘unchurched’ spirituality so I was interested in learning more about it. This means a type of spirituality that is not related with an organised religion. We also discussed more on how religion and culture are connected, both positively and negatively. I thought it was interesting to find out different aspects of certain religions, for example, the refusal of medical treatments due to certain beliefs. We also discussed more theorists such as Max Weber,  Karl Marx and Bruce Lincoln. To understand the theorists and their findings, I will have to research more and read up on them as I still don’t  have a full understanding. I believe this module is expanding my knowledge and giving me a better understanding that there is a larger range of religions and beliefs in the world than I actually know of. This will help me when I become a teacher as I can develop my understanding of religion and have an open mind and non-bias views which is important for teachers in a classroom environment.