iMovie

2/02/19

Hi,

in today’s class we discussed internet safety and the use of iPads and tablets to make videos or movies. This form of communication is very prominent these days with the public posting personal video on platforms such as utube and social like facebook and snapchat. It is therefor imperative that our children begin to learn and understand the implications of publishing their personal information, photographs and video on the internet. This has to begin in school. Whilst using digital technology in school it is also important to educate our pupils about the rights and wrongs of conduct on the internet and the implication for them when it does go wrong. There are some excellent resources that can be used to teach children about internet safety.

The use of digital equipment and online resources is being used in schools more and more as the realisation that being digital literate is as important as reading and writing for today’s generation. Their future will be dominated by digital technology in their every life’s and especially their future work force. (Weiss, 2017). Therefor it is not that we should prevent children using these devices but to encourage them to use them and to use them safely. (Beauchamp, 2012). The Scottish Government has also observed that digital devices help enhance learning in science and mathematics as well some aspects of literacy and have seen that the use of digital technologies in primary education are effective improving basic maths and literacy skills. (The Scottish Goverment, 2015). It is however becoming a difficult balancing act for schools to manage between rising attainment and safe practice. “Most primary schools will have in place a policy regarding e-safety, but they re likely to reflect official policies and perhaps not the reality of pupils life’s” (Beauchamp, 2012, p60)

Our final assessment task was to learn and explore how to use an iPad app called iMovie and implement a lesson about e-safety. My group began with discussing what level we would aim at and decided on the level 2 age group 8-11. We devised the idea of constructing a video to look like the popular bloggers we know our young generation follow. We felt that this meant it might appeal to their sense of humour and engage them unaware so to speak. We built a dialogue together of what was appropriate to say each of us having some input and then decided on an attractive background. Our slogan became “don’t put your bum on the internet!” We all had a part to play and decided the best person for the jobs. I have attached the link to our video below.

https://youtu.be/BWBcTaAgNt0

Some of the aspects of learning and development to come from using iMovie were:

• Health and wellbeing
  • Literacy
  • Technology

Some experience and learning outcomes would be:

• HWB 2-12a through contributing my views, time and talents, I play a part in bringing about positive change in my school and wider community
  • LIT 2-02a as I listen and watch, I can identify and discuss the purpose, main ideas and supporting detail contained within the text, and use this information for different purposes.
  • LIT 2-02a when I engage with others, I can respond in ways appropriate to my role, show that I value others contributions and use these to build on thinking.
  • TCH 2-01a I can extend and enhance my knowledge of digital technologies to collect, analyse ideas, relevant information and organise these in an appropriate way.

In collaboration with my group I could see the benefits and impact the application could have in the classroom. The children would really enjoy being able to interact with the technology they would be able to be creative and share ideas with each other increasing confidence in their abilities from peer feedback and developing skills in collaborative working, problem solving, curiosity and expression. Sharing and storing digitlally has huge benefits.

Logging off until next week…

Weiss, D. (2017) Time to Know blog [Online]

https://www.timetoknow.com/blog/essential-digital-literacy-skills-for-the-21st-century-worker/ [Accessed: 5.2.19]

Beauchamp, G. (2012) ICT in the Primary Classroom: From Pedagogy top Practice. Pearson.

The Scottish Goverment (2015) Literature Review on the Impact of Digital Techhnology on Learning and Teaching. [online] http://dra.ioe.ac.uk/24843/1/00489224.pdf  [Accessed: 5/2/19]