Game – based Learning

5/3/19

Hi,

this weeks focus was on games-based learning. At the begining of this modual if someone had mentioned using computer or console games as a way of teaching in schools I would have been shocked and unconvinced. Now having looked at the bigger picture I can see how this would be another  way of engaging children in learning and how it could be used in many areas of the curriculum. Our youth of today spend endless hours of their time playing console games, I have first hand experience of this with my own children. So I am not surprised that Ofcom reported (2001) “ The use of computer games particularly console games, is firmly embedded in the 21st century youth culture”. As I said I was extremely sceptical as to how this would be done and how the use of games could be controlled by the teacher as to when they should be used and how often. At home I would use the removal of this ‘privilage’ to enforce good behaviour but I had not thought that just because it was fun it meant they were not learning from it. I have seen the same thing in school as classroom assistant where computer games were used as a reward for hard work and good behaviour. It is clear that this has to change. Bray, O. (2012) states that “in a classroom setting, games should not just be used as rewards or for entertainment but as  whole new approach to learning” I have seen and read about in previous weeks how play and interaction with technology has been hugely successful  at raising attainment, teaching children digital literacy and many other important skills such problem solving and collaboration. So, it makes sense now that gaming could be added to this seeing as it is so avidly adopted by children. Beauchamp, (2012, p9) backs up Bray “In recent years, interest has grown considerably in the potential for play to form the basis for learning”

It makes sense then that the teachers using gaming in their classroom are familiar on how they work so that they can decide on how they can be used as a a good resource in their teaching practice (Beauchamp, 2012,p9). Today we were tasked in groups to look at Minecraft as a teaching stimulus and form an interdisciplinary plan for using Minecraft in the classroom. Minecraft is a game whereby the player must discover resources to maintain health, mine for materials to make tools, and build their world. I was quite worried about using this game as being a mature student I have very limited experience of using console games. Our group was of mixed ability we each had a look around the game and played about with the widgets and settings and had a go at mining and building. I was surprised how much could be learned from the game across subjects like history, science and maths but even more so at the scope for teaching ideas. We discussed our findings and decided our plan was that the children would be tasked to build their dream home. We felt level 2 was the appropriate level for our plan. The children could take ideas from famous homes, historical buildings and their local estate to design their house and there was no limitation as to what was inside. This would allow the children use their creative imagination freely. Their second task was to describe their house to the class or their group and thirdly to compare theirs with another one of their group. As they build the children would have to overcome any technological obstacles and select and use the appropriate materials for their house eg. stone, wood, slate and so on. In addition an outdoor activity could be added where the children could go out into the local community, and explore the different buildings around them.

These are the learning outcomes and experiences that would be covered with our lesson:

• Expressive arts, EXA 2-03a I have the opportunity to choose and explore n extended range of medi and technologies to create images and objects, comparing and combining them for specific tasks.
  • Expressive arts, EXA 2-03a I can create and present work tht shows developing skill in using the visual elements and concepts.
  • Expressive arts, EXA 2-06a I can develope and communicate my ideas, demonstrating imagination and presenting at least one possible solution to a design problem.
  • Literacy, LIT 2-09 When listening and talking with others for different purposes, I can; share information, experiences and opinions,explain processes and ideas, identify issues raised and summarise main points or findings, clarify points by asking questions or by skiing others to say more.
  • Maths, MNU 2-11a I can use my knowledge of sizes of familiar objects or places to assist me when making an estimate of measure.
  • Technology, TCH 2-09a I can extend and enhance my design skills to solve problems and can construct models.
  • Technology, TCH 2-10a I can can recognise basic properties and uses for a variety of materials and can discuss which ones are most suitable for a given task.
  • Social studies, SOC 2-10a having explored my local area, I can present information on different places to live, work and relax and interesting places to visit.

I found this task quite difficult given I have never really experienced gaming. It took a while to get used to some of the basics before I could get an idea of how it may be used and I feel I am a long way off fully understanding all the ins and outs and the full potential of using it as a classroom tool. However, it demonstrated to me how important it is for the teacher to be knowledgeable about the games and softwear they want to use before introducing it into their teaching. Not only will it make it much easier to connect it to the curriculum for excellence but once familiar would save face from a class full of expert gamers. I found the benefits of using gaming in schools to be quite overwhelming with regards to the cross curricular aspect and the potential to really engage children in their learning. I am looking forward to continuing to explore Minecraft and such like games so that I can become confident in using it as part of my future teaching practice.

Logging off until next week…

Beauchamp, G. (2012) ICT in the Primary Classroom: From Pedagogy top Practice. Pearson.

Bray, O. (2012) Playful Learning: Computer Games in Education. [Online] https://www.slideshare.net/Microsofteduk/playful-learning-computer-games-in-education [Accessed: 5/3/18]