Final Blog

26/3/19

Hi,

I have come to the end of my digital technology module which I have throughly enjoyed. At the begining I was virtually clueless as to how effective technology could be in education and certainly lacked experience and knowledge of the digital language of today’s world. I am by no means a native of but I am on my way to becoming more proficient and confident in finding my way around. I have come to see how well technology can enhance teaching and effectively engage children. I have used several different types of devices, software and apps and was surprised at the capabilities and opportunity they provide for learning. One of the most interesting things I learned was the scope to link the various activities to the curriculum for excellence across the subjects. I now understand the reason the Scottish Goverment emphasise the need to implement it in teaching pedagogy and that all teachers are open to learning and embracing technology and will use it in their classroom. Being able to give a lesson in a multimodal capacity helps to reach all children in the class Beauchamp (2012, p8). This for me is a particularly important development in eduction as I am passionate about learning for all children regardless of background or disability. As Jarvis, M. (2015, p129) explains “The use of digital technologies appreciates diversity of the learners needs and the potential for personalising their experience using technology”

In conclusion, the significance of of being digitally native in today’s world has never been more important with respect to teaching and equipping children with the skills they will almost certainly need in their future. The education system of today is far removed from teaching reading and writing with black board and chalk and more about ensuring experiences of learning are fun and interactive so that they will naturally engage. I will continue to expand my knowledge and use of technology so that I will be  digitally native teacher of the future.

Logging off.

Beauchamp, G. (2012) ICT in the Primary School: From Pedagogy to Practice. Pearson.

Jarvis, M. (2015) Brilliant Ideas for Using ICT in the Classroom: A Very practical Guide for Teachers and Lecturers. Routledge.