A little introduction to me…

Hello,

This is my blog to show my experiences of becoming a teacher.

I have just begun my teaching journey in the University of Dundee studying MA (Hons) in Education.Through my life I have been fortunate enough to live in different countries around the world, because of this education both in and outside of the classroom has intrigued me. These experiences have inspired my goal of teaching in the international community and travel around the world.

I have recently completed my A level qualifications in Paris, this gave me a fantastic insight into a school with an international community. It also showed me how an international school works together internally but also how this impacts and can include the wider community. I feel this is an important aspect of education as we should not be learning for personal gain but to be able to benefit the people around us.

Throughout my education I always knew that I wanted to teach and particularly in the primary sector as I want to be apart of equipping young children with the skills for life. I was encouraged to study the MA (Hons) Education course after completing a weeks work experience in my junior school at the end of year 12. The teacher that I helped, who taught a Year 4 class, was very supportive in giving me a broad and diverse experience as I was able to observe various teaching approaches through working with a Year 3 and a Year 5 class alongside my work with the Year 4 children.

This experience immediately highlighted challenges  that this profession brings, for example the importance of clear communication. This was because for many children in the class English was not their first language and this is an area which I want to look into further. This is because I saw the teachers at this school use many different techniques to help the children that were struggling due to the language barrier. Therefore I wish to research and explore these techniques further and at the same time I would like to further investigate the impact of a bilingual education on children, especially in the younger years.

I hope to continue to discover new aspects of education which makes me a better teacher through my time at the University of Dundee and beyond.