Thinking Deeper (MA1)

We had a workshop this week that really made me think.

What does it mean to be homophobic?

We watched a clip from a video and the part we focussed on was stating that we are all at least a little bit homophobic. I think at first everyone felt a bit defensive. Nobody likes to be accused of being or doing something. I never would have thought of myself as homophobic- and I still don’t. However I do understand the point being made. We all notice if someone is ‘different’. We might even judge them for it. That’s not to say you would necessarily voice those thoughts. I think that certain ideas are engrained in our heads from a young age based on society but more heavily, the media. So it is difficult to have entirely independent thoughts on every subject.

I found a short clip of people in the crowd at a sports event. Had it been on television whilst I was in the room I may not have paid attention and many people may not take notice of what is said by the commentator. But I think this is an excellent example of the statement that everyone is a little bit homophobic and that people say offensive things, without intent or even realising it.

What do I say..?

The topic of gender has become increasingly heated as of late. I knew that there was no longer binary ‘boys or girls’ anymore but I was not entirely sure of the details. I have found out that gender holds no scientific basis. It was interesting having a discussion on the as people had stories of their own experiences and examples from the media. I didn’t know that some shops were getting rid of labelling clothes as either ‘boys’ or girls’. I found this really interesting. I am still a little unsure about this whole topic. I find myself feeling wary of what I say. I never thought using the words ‘boys’ and ‘girls’ could become so serious. It has been really eye opening.