Why do I want to be a teacher?

There are so many different reasons as to why I want to become a teacher, some of which stem all the way back to primary school, another reason is because of my family (my younger brother) and the last reason is to share my positive experiences from my time at school to younger generations and to help them to become the best versions of themselves.

When carrying out work experience last year I had the opportunity to spend time at four very different educational environments. On one of my work experience placements a teacher spoke to me about unlocking the potential in every child. These few words to me sum up a teachers role. These words also inspired me, making me want to teach even more as I want to help play an important part in the lives of young people.

Throughout my journey through school, I was in the fortunate position of being taught by many teachers that were inspiring and great role models to my younger self. These teachers gave me support and guidance where necessary and taught me skills and lessons that I will value for life. These are the things that I want to give back to younger generations, providing them with the same support and guidance that I received. I want to be a role model and a person who not only teaches them all of the vital lessons which they have to be taught, but I want to be a role model and a person who the children feel like they can come to with any issue no matter how big or small.

Shaping the lives of young people is something which I believe is so important, and something which I would love to help with, I want to give all children an educational experience that is as positive and inspiring as the one which I have had and to help unlock the potential that is inside every child.

Welcome to your WordPress eportfolio

Welcome to your ePortfolio. This is where you will document and share your professional thoughts and experiences over the course of your study at the University of Dundee and beyond that when you begin teaching. You have the control over what you want to make public and what you would rather keep on a password protected page.

The ePortfolio in the form of this WordPress blog allows you to pull in material from other digital sources:

You can pull in a YouTube video:

You can pull in a Soundcloud audio track:

You can upload an image or pull one in from Flickr or any other image sharing site.

Teacher, Lorraine Lapthorne conducts her class in the Grade Two room at the Drouin State School, Drouin, Victoria

You can just about pull in anything that you think will add substance and depth to your writing.