Personal audit & transferable skills

Activity 1

1. Below are a list of skills and abilities. Complete an audit of where you are now. Record this in your learning journal/portfolio.

Rate yourself (1=Not very well developed; 3=very well developed)

Skills and Abilities

1

2

3

Flexibility         *
 Self confidence         *
 Self discipline        *
 Working under pressure     *
 Set personal goals  *
 Take risks  *
 Share opinions confidently  *
 Team work  *
 Take responsibility  *

Although it is important to identify where we are now, it is not enough to stop there. We need to reflect upon how we can develop the skills where we are less confident and how we can transfer the skills in which we are confident and competent.

Activity 2

Complete the audit below, using the information from the table above.

Recognition Reflection Action
Skills already developed How will I use these How do I know (evidence)**
 Self discipline  I will use this skill when completing homework, working my way through the reading list or studying for exams.  I have kept up to date with all homework and made good progress on the independent reading.
 Contributing to discussions  I contribute in workshops when working within my peer learning group where we discuss topics in the previous lecture. I also contribute in online discussions via ‘blogging together’.  I have spoken in my peer learning groups frequently presenting my opinions on various subjects.
 Organise and plan  I will use this skill in all aspects of my studies. For exampling plan for lectures by doing the required reading. I will also use my planning skills within my peer learning groups when we are given a task to complete. I will use my organisational skills coming up to exams and assignment submissions ensure I have all the materials and time I need.  I played a key role in planning my peer learning groups agency visit. I did this by emailing the center and planning a meeting time and place.

Listen to others  I will use this in lectures by listening to the lecturer and others who contribute to a discussion. I will also use this when working in groups.
I have done this in all my lectures and in my peer learning group.
 Take notes  I will use this in lectures to only take notes of what is on the Power Point Slides but also to take note of additional information said by lecturers or students participating in discussions.  I have used this skill in various lectures and class discussions and will be using the information in assignments.
 Building social networks  I will use this out with the class room discussing topics and gaining other opinions on the matter. I will also use this skill when working within groups as it makes working together easier.  I have used this when meeting up with friends outside of class discussing a lecture or homework. I have also developed good social networks in my peer learning groups.

** This section should be completed as you identify when/where/how you have used/developed these skills.

Recognition Reflection Action
Skills to be developed How will I develop these How do I know (evidence)**
 Writing for academic purpose  I will develop this skill by continuing to practice the National Online Literacy Assessment. I will also look at some books that offer tips on assignment writing.  I have completed the Literacy assessment a few times and ensured I followed up on the areas I was weaker in.
 Use technology  I will research ways in which technology can be useful in my practice. For example, in the class room when on placement.  I have been engaging in social media to keep up to date with updates in my field of work.
 Debate formally and informally  I will develop this skill by thinking about my actions and language used when debating in a formal setting compared to debating with friends.  I have not had a chance to develop these skills yet.
 Make presentations  This skill will be developed through practice.  I have not had a chance to develop this skill yet however my exam for the Working Together module involves presenting my knowledge therefore I will be using it there.
 Act as a leader  This skill will be developed when working in groups that requires a leader.  I have not had a chance to develop this skill yet.
 Manage time  This skill will be developed on placement and in my academic studies.   I am using this skill in the run up to my assignment submission ensuring I have completed all enough reading to write a successful assignment.