New Module Motivation

Yesterday we had our first input of our new module ‘Developing Effectiveness In Learning and Teaching’. The module aims to show us how we can ‘take learning beyond subject barriers’  known as Interdisciplinary Learning (IDL). This is where teachers plan to make appropriate links to other subjects across the curriculum to create a learning experience (Education Scotland, 2012).

I found the whole input very interesting and as the class discusseed their own IDL experiences at school I constantly found my mind getting carried away with hundreds of ideas I could use in my own practice. However, now the time has come for me to reflect on my own experinces I am at a stand still. I only remember some of the topics I covered in school such as Evacuees, The Victorians and Bridges etc. I recall very little about what activities and avenues we explored within these topics. The only memory that truly sticks out was when my class visited a mock victorian school.  We spent the morning dressed up as victorian children and were taught by a victorian teacher. We got to see the type of resources children in those days used and got to experience the harsh ways of victorian teachers. This experience was very exciting for me as I loved history and it was showing me clearer than ever what it was really like back then. From a professional perspective reflecting back on this I appreciate it is not always possible to go on school trips but it has got my imagination running wild with ways you can bring that aspect of realness into the classroom.

I have gone on to read Education Scotland’s CFE Briefing 4 ‘Interdisciplinary Learning’ which has given me a real insight into what IDL learning should look like in the classroom. The briefing emphasised the importance of careful planning of IDL ensuring the links are strong and are clearly planned through a few Experiences and Outcomes. It also suggested teachers should always call upon childrens previous knowledge and involve them in the planning too (Education Scotland, 2012).

Overall I am very motivated to learn more on this topic and look forward to further inputs.

• Education Scotland (2012) CFE Briefings, 4 Interdisciplinary Learning. Availible at: https://education.gov.scot/scottish-education-system/policy-for-scottish-education/policy-drivers/cfe-(building-from-the-statement-appendix-incl-btc1-5)/CfE%20Briefings. Accessed 18/08/18.

One thought on “New Module Motivation

1. It is interesting that you remember the experience Jennifer but not much about the learning. It would be worth reflecting on whether the experience you remember was effective IDL now you have read further around the subject. When we explore the principles of curricular design, this may add another layer to your informed reflection.
    Thanks for sharing! 🙂

Reply