Ideology and Prejudice

In todays input the terms ‘ideology’ and ‘prejudice’ became a lot more clearer as I now know the correct definitions and concepts of each. I can also identify the influences that prejudice can have. The tutorial really helped me develop my understanding of this as I was able to note down each influence and a reason for each as to why they influence prejudice and in what ways they do so. For example the media can influence prejudice by showing biased news that people will believe and share this idea with other which will spread unrealistic news thats not particularly true.

I believe prejudice is a term used to describe an (negative) attitude towards a group of people or individuals and may include stereotypes however, it is never based upon facts. Prejudice takes place in society through various subjects such as sex, gender, race and disability as well as lots more. Similarly, ideology is our ideas and beliefs as well as our values and interests and can be involved in groups and people who take a role of this on. Ideology includes Worldview which is a set of beliefs that explains the world we live in we then share our ideas with others and make ideology. As well as this it is an idea that society provides human knowledge and it is our generation and environment that impacts this.

One main idea that stood out for me today was that prejudice and discrimination is not the same thing and how important it is not to get these mixed up. Prejudice is when people can have prejudice on other people without acting upon it where as discrimination is when people act upon a certain idea and discriminate against it such as women’s right to vote.

As a student teacher and future educator I believe we have an influence on prejudice. We must provide different opportunities and idea in the classroom and accept everyones beliefs. We must have an open mind when working with learners to allow them to see and understand the different beliefs and ideas people have on society.

When it came to discussing the different theories I became a bit confused and overwhelmed. I understand what each one is but will need to look further into it to gain a better insight and understanding. Mannheim’s Theory of Generation believes that our ideology is determined by our family members of past generations. I also agree with this belief that our ideas have been told and influenced by the people around us ann the environment we live in. Karl Marx believes that the more social class rules the lower class and controls the beliefs and ideas of these people.

In conclusion, from todays input I have gained and furthered my knowledge on these two concepts however, to develop a deeper understanding I will complete further reading.