Inclusion and Equality

equalityAfter this weeks lecture the main concepts that I have learned are the definitions and understanding of Inclusion and Equality. Before this input, I had previous knowledge on equality and inclusion from school however, I was always thought inclusion and equality was of similar meanings now I know they are in fact completely different. I feel that I now understand the importance of these terms and how they effect society in various different ways. I found equality most interesting to read about and fully understand the key information.

Equality has many different approaches towards the meaning, first being equality of opportunity. (Thompson 2011) believes that equality of opportunity means to provide people with the same equal opportunities and chances. This will allow everyone to receive the same starting point in life and limit the equal chance of success. Equality of outcome is another approach that can determine the meaning of equality. This approach means that moving on from opportunities different  people must be given the same outcome and rewards no matter what the opportunity was. A third approach is the equality as fairness that ensures that different types of people are provided with the amount of support they need and allowed to carry out their full potential no matter what their differences are to become successful. Furthermore, equality of condition involves people being given the equal support through various different forms in their life. (Lynch and Baker 2005) examines the five key dimensions, first being, resources such as income, health care, education – the psychological needs. Equality of respect and recognition such as to be accepted and have equal rights. Equality to love care and solidarity which is societies that offer this support like education and employment. Equality of access to power, such as to make civil and political decisions. Finally, equality of equal access to working and learning such as the right to be educated, gain skills and qualities.

Unfortunately these approaches are not agreed in society by everyone and discrimination is still happening everywhere. In order to understand what gives rise to inequality and discrimination (Thompson 2011) believes that the PCS analysis helps understand how they operate. P referring to personal; this is individuals assumptions in society today which are shaped by the personal experiences of equality around us. C refers to the cultural level is very influential people are constantly being stuck under what is perceived as ‘normality’ and refusing to open up to anything outside of this. S refers to the structural level and relates to wider opportunities of discrimination such as action in communities and political people. People follow in these steps and believes anything they do is correct and the right way. Following on from this Allport (1954) wrote a book called ‘The Nature of Prejudice’ and refereed to discrimination in terms of a scale. I found this extremely interesting as it marked down the terms in order of least to most extreme. Anti locution was his first term which refers to verbal abuse by discrimination. This is insensitive remarks made towards another group which are not intentional however it is based on their opinion and shown as their judgements towards the group. Avoidance is second on the scale which is when a person isolates/avoids/maintains distance themselves from a particular group because of their differences. Discrimination is next, this is denying people access to opportunities or services because they are different, for example segregation in america. Physical attack is next which is crime and vandalism , then extermination; ethnic cleansing. From the Inclusion and equality seminar the quote from Allport ‘Although most barking does not lead to biting [..] there is never a bite without previous barking’ (p. 57). I personally believe this means that verbal abuse could potentially lead to physical attack and people should constantly watch their verbal language.

I really enjoyed this input on inclusion and equality however I feel that i must complete further reading on inclusion as I don’t quite fully understand these concepts.