Expressive Arts and Culture- Session 5

Today was a continuation of last week’s session focusing on learning with narrative and visual methods to construct meaning in and through the expressive arts.

Diarmuid introduced us to arts based research. To gain a deeper understanding of arts based research we listened to interviews with Patricia Leavy and explored her handbook. Arts based research involves using the creative arts to build knowledge within research. This may involve the use of essays, scripts, poetry, music, dance, photography and comics to name a few (Leavy, 2019). Previously, I did not realise that one could use these methods for research purposes, however, with greater thinking I realise that each of these examples are often created with great meaning behind them. An example that comes to mind is an acquaintance of mine who regularly posts her poems on facebook that explore deep emotions and topics that she goes through such as grief and how she copes with it.

Leavy also explains the benefits of arts based research. Arts based research provides new insights and learning on various topics as well as allowing one to form connections between individual life and larger contexts in the way we live them (Leavy, 2019). Arts based research is holistic therefore it interconnects different subjects and disciplines (Leavy, 2011, cited in Leavy, 2019).

I believe that arts based research would be useful to use in the classroom as it will allow the children to represent their findings in a creative and unique way. This will benefit children who find writing a difficult method to display their knowledge and understanding as there are so many art forms to choose from.

To be truthful, I feel like I am still unsure on what Arts Based Research is about therefore I will conduct more research on the topic.

References:

Leavy, P. (2019) Handbook of Arts Based Research. Guilford Press.