Week 11 – Drama and Dance 21/11/17

Today we began with a lecture on creative dance. It was beneficial for me to relate what we have been doing previously in the dance workshops to the theory discussed in the lecture such as Cone (2009) believing that dance should represent children’s’ ideas. We also focussed in Smith-Autard’s Midway Model for Dance in Schools (2002) which emphasises that both the process and product of creative dance should be valued and neither is more important than the other.

In the drama input we had the remaining microteaching lessons. As my group had already completed ours, I was at ease and looking forward to contributing to my peers’ lessons. However we were also given additional, general feedback such as being aware of your positioning so that the pupils can see and hear you.

It was interesting to see how each group interpreted the task as each group used different stories and drama conventions.

Later, in the dance workshop we created Christmas themed dances in line with the Cone (2009) dance analysis. Our dances incorporated the 10 basic dance moves studied previously and revised again in the morning lecture. Due to the nature of the theme, we were also encouraged to consider props and costumes that may be used. This again allowed me to see the benefit of putting pupils in charge of their learning through which they have the opportunity to increase their confidence as well as their physical, mental and physiological wellbeing.

Today’s inputs allowed me to gain further insight to how the Expressive Arts may be taught in the primary school. The importance of collaborative working was also evident from both of the workshops – this can develop a number of skills such as group work and confidence and can be an enjoyable lesson for pupils.

Reference List

Cone, T. (2009) Following Their Lead: Supporting Children’s Ideas for Creating Dances. Journal of Dance Education. Vol.9(3), pp. 81-89.

Smith-Autard, J. (2002) The Art of Dance EducationLondon: A & C Black Publishers Ltd.