Week 2 Art Development

Childhood Development through Arts

In this week’s lecture we looked and analysed, finished pieces of art from early level through to second level from primary school aged children. I have discovered there are four main stages in the child’s development in art. Lowenfeld  and Brittain (1982)  suggests these are

• Scribbling stage (2-4 years)
  • Pre – schematic stage (4-7 years)
  • Schematic stage (7-9 years)
  • Gang stage (9 – 12 years)

However in contrast it is now recognised that many teachers are not satisfied by slotting children into specific developmental stages as they realise more factors and complexities are involved and see the need to take cultural issues into consideration (McAuliffe, D, 2007). Therefore as a teacher I will have an idea of what to expect at each stage but I am aware that these stages are not permenant and many children may fluctuate between them and I will be a facilitator to provide a variety of materials mediums, challenges and stimuli to allow their creativity to flourish.

From the Early Level Outcomes from Curriculum for Excellence
  • I have the freedom to discover and choose ways to create images and objects using a variety of materials.

EXA 0-02a

This can be seen due to the children having the choice of a variety of coloured paper ,paint, chalk, crayons and pencils. McAullife, (2007) suggests that we as the adult should not try to ‘interfere’  with the drawing even though we think it is just a scribble .To the child it a ‘map of meaning’ and we need to be very careful about how we question the child.

From the First Level Outcomes from Curriculum for Excellence
  • I can create and present work using the visual elements of line, shape, form, colour, tone, pattern and texture.

EXA 1-03a

In the first level pictures you can see line, shape, and colour all beginning to develop. McAuliffe, (2007) suggests that progression would  show more attention to detailing and this can be clearly seen here in these pictures where more parts, colours and lines have been put in. They are still using their imagination but can find it frustrating not being able to fully draw the picture as they want and can ‘becoming increasingly dissatisfied with their efforts.’ (Cox 1997 p 83).

From the Second Level Outcomes from Curriculum for Excellence
  • I can create and present work that shows developing skill in using the visual elements and concepts

EXA 2-03a

In the second level pictures you can clearly see the skill of tone, shape, process, content and form all being developed to a higher level. In schools at this stage a lot of children lack confidence in their abilities. McAuliffe, (2007) suggests as children develop they become more insecure about their own drawings and the talents  of others in art.  Therefore he suggests it becomes harder to help these children overcome these fears. This was exactly me at school . I lacked a lot of confidence in art and would always look at everyone else’s work as far better than mine and therefore I became scared to join in incase I was laughed at. Furthermore the examples of the art work  that were provided in the workshop had information of what the drawing was about from the child .  As previously mentioned McAuliffe, (2007) suggests that as teachers we should be careful about how we question the children about their work as the children are the ones who know how to  explain its meaning . I have found this to be the case when on work experience as in several classes I was unsure what the picture was but the child was able to explain in great detail all the aspects of the drawing and I was very enthusiastic and hopefully encouraged the child to continue on with their creativity and imagination. I now understand that as a teacher I must encourage the children to be creative, take risks, be there to support and be a positive influence on them.

Overall I have learned the importance of letting the child describe their art working and supporting their description of it by reassuring them that is is worthwhile and valued and therefore hopefully raise their enthusiasm for the next project.

McAuliffe, D.  (2007) Foundation and Primary Settings. In Teaching in Art and Design 3- 11. London: Continuum

Cox, M. (1997) Drawings of People by Under-Fives. London: Falmer Press

Lowenfeld, V., & Brittian, L. (1982). Creative and mental growth (7th ed.). New York, NY: Macmillan.