Praise Poems

School should be a joyful place. Children in Aberdeen have told Children’s Parliament that being complimented helps them learn as it makes them feel good about themselves. Praise poems are a way of recognising children’s talents, positive attributes and the learning treasures they already possess.

20170201_100935

‘I liked the poem being read out about me as it described me like the beach and summer, which I love. I felt confident about myself and could tell people how I feel. I face-timed by family in Poland, using Google translator to share the poem with them. I also told my mum, dad and sister about it.’ Julia

‘The poem is about me. I find it inspiring. It feels great to have it read out because someone was writing about me, for me. I’m like a Bloodfang-sabretooth tiger. I roar.’ Tyler

‘My friend came up with the ideas for my poem and I loved it as it was so positive. It described me as funny and that I am good at making people laugh.’ Jamie

To learn more about children’s views on their school experience read our School should be a Joyful Place (2017) report here