Personal audit & transferable skills

Activity 1

1. Below are a list of skills and abilities. Complete an audit of where you are now. Record this in your learning journal/portfolio.

Rate yourself (1=Not very well developed; 3=very well developed)

Skills and Abilities

1

2

3

Share opinions confidently  √
 Self confidence  √
 Be creative  √
 Computing skills  √
 Team work  √
 Work on own initiative  √
Make presentations  √
 Take risks  √
 Debate formally and informally  √

Although it is important to identify where we are now, it is not enough to stop there. We need to reflect upon how we can develop the skills where we are less confident and how we can transfer the skills in which we are confident and competent.

Activity 2

Complete the audit below, using the information from the table above.

Recognition Reflection Action
Skills already developed How will I use these How do I know (evidence)**
 Share opinions confidently While in discussion with peers I will contribute my opinions where relevant. My opinions will be communicated in a clear and concise way, in terms of content and delivery. While working in a group for a current module I am contributing confidentaly and my opinions are being taken on board and helping to achieve the outcomes that we are aiming for. Sometimes clarification and further discussion is needed, but I am able to talk through my opinions and validate them.
 Team work When working with others I will listen, contribute to discussions and respect others opinions and input. I will offer help for any that might want it and accept or ask for help if it is needed. In the same module as above we are working together on a presentation. It is a large group so good listening and patience is required for the group to work effectively and efficiently. The evidence of this working well will be in the presentation, but we have no major conflicts and we have mutual understanding of our roles and relationships within the group.
 Work on own initiative Stay motivated by regular reading, completion of tasks and maintaining high attendance. These factors will allow me to develop a deeper undertanding of what we are learning and therefore able to work on my own initiative.  I have been on top of the reading and allocating time dedicated to studying and completing of tasks. This involves time management more than anything, but taking the initiative to plan ahead gives me confidence that I am on track and have time to complete work.
 Be creative By thinking through problems and not worrying about a lack of understanding in some areas. Creative thinking will help to develop new ways to learn, and those skills can be transferred to the professional environment.  This will be a learning process throughout life, so maintiaining creativity and being strong enough to push yourself creatively is key. Looking back at previous work to view the evidence there are always improvements and things that might have been done differently.
 Self confidence Staying active in the learning community helps to build confidence in areas that you are discussing. This confidence can, again, be transferred to the professional environment and help to motivate others to be confident in themselves.  By working closely with a group in one of the modules, it has helped me to further develop self confidence and allowed me to contribute more that I thought I could.

** This section should be completed as you identify when/where/how you have used/developed these skills.

Recognition Reflection Action
Skills to be developed How will I develop these How do I know (evidence)**
 Make presentations Reading academic skills texts and practice for upcoming presentations. Experiencing the process will allow me to reflect on what I need to improve on through participating in presentations. Reading about presentations and planning them has helped me to become more confident in my ability and, importantly, I am confident in the the work I have produced.
 Take risks With thought and preperation I could present views that have not been discussed by others, controversial or otherwise, and through the communication that will follow learn to be more confident in taking risks. Conversations with my peers about our studies is providing a great opportunity for opinions to be shared and opinions aboout complex social issues to arise.
 Debate formally and informally Participation in more activities that require debate. Engagement in issues that are not easily defined or complicated to discuss and that will open up different and conflicting opinions. By working with others in a group I am regularly participating in discussions that involve individuals opinions and experiences. This is creating conversations about issues that are not easily defined and have multiple theoretical models, making debate a regular activity.
 Computing skills More time spent using programs and websites to secure my existing knowledge. Read guides and then experiment with ways to use computing technology in more innovative and engaging ways.  As technology is developing we are all having to learn new ways of using it. I have been learning more about programs that have been around for years, such as powerpoint and word press, but am still developing my usage of social media so that I can make it an effective tool for myself and others to communicate through.

Managing My Learning

Activity 1

Complete the table below to identify and reflect on those factors and plan actions for each.

Recognition/ Reflection Action
What helps my learning? How can I utilise this?
Dedicated space for reading, writing and working in my home. ·       A work station can help create a work ethic. When I am sitting there, I should only be doing work relevant to University study.

·       Keep the area of study tidy with only study materials available to cut down on distractions.

Getting enough sleep. ·       Stick to personal deadlines so that work does not spill into time for relaxation and sleep.

·       Exercise and a good diet makes sleep come easier.

Help from colleagues, tutors, family. ·       Be open when I need help. There is no such thing as a stupid question.

·       Communicate with my peers so I can learn from their learning.

·       Moral support from family.

Participate in activities within outside and within the University. ·       Keep participating in musical groups and social situations to help relaxation and development of interpersonal skills.

·       Develop skills that will be important to my professional practice and think about how to apply them.

Good planning and motivation. ·       Try and plan all areas of study (that I can). This gives perspective to how much I must complete and helps with time management.

·       Being able to measure progress and tick items off the plan is motivational.

Recognition/Reflection Action
What hinders my learning? How can I address this factor?
Trying to take on too much. ·       Learn to say ‘No’ when asked if I can participate in some activity that will take time away from planned study time.

·       Recognise when I have managed my time badly and try to avoid repeating the situation.

Distractions of entertainment. ·       Realise that almost anything that is missed on television or other media is available online and can be viewed/played when time allows it.

·       Do not have anything switched on that affects your thinking. This is the benefit of a dedicated study space, there are no audio or visual distractions.

Travel time. ·       Take resources that I need for study to university so that I can study between inputs/workshops.
Knowing whether I am achieving the learning outcomes. ·       Take time to try and understand the learning outcomes for each module.

·       Ask my peers how they are feeling about the learning outcomes.

·       Ask lectures and tutors to help with my understanding of the outcomes.

Activity 2

Make a timeline so that you are aware of all the potential busy periods and plan the year to ensure that you allocate sufficient time for each module to include reading time, writing time and any other aspects of the module where you need to allocate time.

October 31st

Working Together module – Agency visit.

November 28th

Working Together module – Group presentation on agency visit and individual academic poster submission.

French – Assignment submission.

December 5th

Values: Self, Society and the Professions – Assignment submission.

January 31st

Observation day for MA1 placement.

February 27th – March 10th

MA1 placement 1.

April 17th – May 12th

MA1 placement 2.