MA1 Placement

• Section 1  –

‘Trust and Respect’

‘Demonstrating a commitment to motivating and inspiring learners, acknowledging their social and economic context, individuality and specific learning needs and taking into consideration barriers to learning’.   

I have chosen to select this aspect as one of my goals because I believe in the importance of ensuring learning has a purpose that is clear to pupils. Each lesson must have meaning and be a step towards a bigger goal of understanding. I have found that the pupils in my class are all of varying abilities so as a teacher I must consider how each pupil is working to achieve their best in my classes. For this I also have to consider barriers to learning, including seating plans, motivation and making lessons engaging and purposeful.

• 2.1.2  

‘Have knowledge and understanding of the relevant area(s) of pre-school, primary or secondary curriculum’

I have identified this as a personal goal because through my experience in 1PP1a I have learned the key difference between knowing a topic and knowing how to teach it and communicate it to those who do not. It requires a special skill of understanding pupils’ previous experiences and level of ability. By considering these factors I can evaluate what resources to use what and support may be needed, ensuring that lessons are providing suitable challenge and progression to all.

• 3.1.2                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 ‘Communicate effectively and interact productively with learners, individually and collectively’

I have highlighted this as a key goal for my professional development as it is clear how important communication and use of language are in a classroom. As a teacher I have to think carefully about what I say and how I say it, ensuring I convey the appropriate message and enhance learning, not hinder it. The use of questioning is important to stimulate pupils is an essential part to the teacher’s input in a lesson, therefore I will pre-plan key questions so that they are highlighted in my lesson. Also, I will consider different forms of communication e.g. Think-Pair-Share, using lollipop sticks to randomly ask pupils, and their fit for purpose in my lessons.

• 3.2.2                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  ‘Develop positive relationships and positive behaviour strategies’

This is a very important goal for me as I have previously highlighted that I am aiming to build my confidence in being a ‘teacher’, not the children’s friend. For me to be seen as a respected authoritative figure, I need to ensure lessons prioritise learning and so behaviour management is dealt with effectively and does not take over the lesson. By establishing class rules, pupils can clearly understand the behavioural expectations and it will help me to maintain control of the class. For the pupils who I have observed as easily distracted and lacking motivation, effective behaviour management is needed to ensure they do not distract others and their own learning is not disadvantaged.